1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone advise affordable weed killer for patio

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by alanstrongbow, Jul 9, 2012.

1. alanstrongbow

alanstrongbow Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have block paving to the rear of my house and need to get rid of the annoying weeds,could anyone advise me as to a product that wont break the bank I don't know if I should get a spray bottle or sachets which you add to the watering can,I tried the sachets years ago and they were pricey and did not cover half as much ground as they were supposed to,how long would I need to leave the weed killer to work before I could then use my jet washer and then apply kiln sand between grooves.
    On a final note would using the jet wash dilute the weed killer and be counter productive although sometimes the weed killer can taint the blocks a little so I think it's a best idea to wash after and not before using weed killer

2. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,177
    Hallo Alan
    and welcome to Gardeners Corner. Someone will be along to offer advice - a bit late for most of them now but they will be around in the morning.

3. westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
    Ratings:
    +598
    Depends how big an area you have, I've found bleach brushed over the area and left for a few hours as good as anything and it also cleans the paving.

Dilute the bleach - I do about 50:50 thick bleach with water, pour over the area with a watering can and then just give it a good brush.

4. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    Roundup - you would need to leave it for at least a week to do its job.

You can buy it in 5L in a pump bottle for less than £20 :)

5. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    I second the roundup ... not cheap, but very good .... you need to make sure that after applying, there is no rain for at least 6 hours

6. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,381
    Also agree with roundup but you have to have a word with him upstairs to keep the rain off.

A much cheaper solution is to hand weed :hate-shocked: but it's hard work.

Of course, if you regularly jet wash the paving then you can blast them out.

7. catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    When I do mine I pressure wash it first and then pour salt in the cracks. You could mix the salt into the sand and save a step. Then just spot salt when needed.

8. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,708
    Other option is to burn them...

9. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    I may be wrong, but isn't 'Roundup' just a trade name for Glyphosate?

If you buy Bayer's Super Strength Glyphosate - which is pretty much Roundup by any other name, it comes pre-measured, just drop the soluble sachet in water, stir it about (follow the instructions) then apply. You can do it with a watering can or, as I do, with a Hozelock Killaspray. It works exactly the same as Roundup, i.e: ... don't apply if rain in expected in 6 hours: can kill some weeds in days, others take up to 4 weeks (although not in my experience): may need a second application: no need to exclude children or pets from treated area once it's dry and fully degrades in the soil.

It comes in 6, 12 or 18 size 8g packets: each sachet will cover 25 sq.m, so 6 sachets will do an area 150 sq.m: 12 sachets - 300 sq.m and 18 sachets - 450sq.m.

I've never bought anything larger than a 6-pack which costs £7 in Wilkinsons (the same thing is £9.50 on Amazon!). You can of course, buy 5 litres of Roundup in one of their fancy 'pump-and-go' thingies, but it'll cost between £12 and £18 and will still only treat 150sq.m - £7 or somewhere between £12 and £18? Your call.

10. catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    Use a paint brush to apply it. Probably will use less and no drift onto other things either.

11. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,381
    When's bob-a-job week? :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
    • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +21,708
      That got cancelled Shiney, it's now sheckel a job week due to currency crises!

• Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
      +225
      I've followed Bob Flowerdew's suggestion with success: "After you've made a cuppa, pour the surlpus hot water from the kettle along the cracks between the paving".

Works quite well and as you're using water that would only go cold, costs nothing!:blue thumb: