1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone advise me on what to do with this?.....

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by busybee, Jul 31, 2009.

1. busybee

busybee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a blackcurrant sage and last year it was nearly all gobbled up by my rabbits. This spring it began to sprout new shoots but hal of it looked dead. I asked on here and i was advised to wait and see what happened over the summer.

I have added 3 pics of what it looks like, so hopefully they are good enough for you to be able to advise me of what to do with it? Half the plant is doing very well and is producing flowers etc. There is also new shoots arising from the base of the plant. However, the other half is dead and there are no signs of life. i want to preserve the living part of the plant but the dead half is making the plant as a whole, look a bit naff.

What should i do with it? Bearing in mind i'm a novice gardener!! :hehe:

Many Thanks

PS the third pic shows the new shoots from the base (left of pic) and the dead bits at the base

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I would cut out the dead stuff and reduce the rest down by a half. This should help it bush out.:gnthb:

3. busybee

busybee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    when should i cut the dead stuff? and the living stuff? Now?

4. joyce42

joyce42 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes now,it still has plenty time to bush up.Tie the fresh bits that you cut off in a bunch and hang up in a paper bag to dry to use in winter cooking.

5. busybee

busybee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you joyce! I will get chopping as soon as the rain stops!!

6. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I would certainly cut out the dead stuff and a bit from the top, but I wouldn't cut off too much of the good stuff, as the green leaves currently on the plant are the energy source that will fuel any new growth. I would wait till you have more overall growth before worrying about the shape.

If you put it in a big enough pot it will grow into a shrub about three feet high and three feet across - so you have a long way to go.

7. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Peter, by cutting the good growth back by a half it is encouraging the emerging growth to develope. Thus thickening, and improving, the shrub.:gnthb:

8. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    David - you are probably right on this, as its got the root system from last year - but I am slightly concerned that there is not a lot of plant in the first place.

It doesn't grow very tall (3 feet) and consequently bushes out naturally. If it was mine I would put it in a bigger pot as it will grow quite rapidly when it is happy. The bigger the pot the bigger the plant. And I would use a well drained mixture, ie incorporate plenty of sand, as Salvias dislike winter wet.