1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone explain root stock?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Victoria Plum, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    If you take a cutting from a rose and you are successful, will the rose be weaker than one grown on root stock?

What is a root stock?

:scratch:

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    A root stock is used when you want a plant to take on the attributes of another ( simplified), it is usually used to overcome a weakness that a hybrid has.

Apple trees are probably the ones a general ngardener is likely to come across. Step-over apples use a good fruiting bud which is grafted onto a root stock that restricts the growth.

They do have to be of the same family-apple onto apple root stock, rose etc-

It is a very interesting part of gardening-I haven't ever tried it, but I am learning about it.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "If you take a cutting from a rose and you are successful, will the rose be weaker than one grown on root stock"

In general (in the case of Roses) yes. Some varieties are/can be grown from cuttings, but not many AFAIK.

Rose stock is most commonly (I think!) just a briar rose.

4. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,772
    [align=center][align=left]Hi Jim and vicki,I thought I would just add a photo:)

[/align]
    [align=center]The dark stem at ground level is the rootstock. It is from this rootstock, and the rest of the root system that suckers emerge.[/align]

[​IMG]

[/align]

5. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    So why do people bother taking cuttings from roses? Is it just that they won't be as disease resistant or that they won't ever develop into lovely big rose bushes. (My mum has lots of roses in her garden and she claims she hasn't bought a single one, they are all from bouquets!)

I'm just wondering because I have a rose cutting in the kitchen in a glass of water and the leaves have started to grow - so I was dead excited that I may have some success in growing a rose from my first cutting. But I can't help feeling disappointed if it won't become anything.

:(

6. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,772
    [align=center]GO FOR IT

[/align]
    Hi Jim and Vicki ,You go for it and enjoy it,Its Millions of Rose Lovers do it all other the world,and have fantastic results,with all aspects of gardening you are going to get disappointments occasionally,Trust me It will come to something and then you can put the photos on here :thumb::)

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "So why do people bother taking cuttings from roses?"

Same reason they take cuttings of other things I expect - doesn't cost a whole lot! I have lots of plants in my garden which started from "just a little bit" given by a friend, or that I have helped-myself-to. That has helped stretch the gardening budget considerably :thumb:

8. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I would echo what has been said here and just go for it. It "might" have issues, but then again it might not, you never know til you give it a bash.

9. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    OK - sounds sensible. Let's hope it doesn't have too many issues - three kids and a husband have enough issues for me without finding them in the garden too!!!! :lollol:

10. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Couldn't agree with you more-also three kids and a husband, I go in the garden to get away from the issues, lol.

11. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Me too ..... although 4 kids ....... and sadly some of them are starting to follow me out to the garden to 'talk' to me :(

12. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    :skp: Hang on - no where in the parenting books does it say you have to give up refuge in the garden. I'm gonna look into electric fencing :gnthb:

13. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Mine help in the garden. Commands like "Pick the strawberries" seem to be obeyed.

My psychiatrist told me to tell myself that I am not deluding myself :hehe:

14. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    My kids follow me everywhere I go-usually with some tale of woe or "injustice" inflicted by their Father or siblings-"Mum, Dad won't let me have an ice cream" or "Mum, Dad just shouted at me for no reason" etc. Then I have the neverending stream of questions-"Mum, can I eat this?" or "Mum is this a weed?" or "Mum, do you like being in the garden away from us?"-of course they look crestfallen when I say yes lol. The worst new game they have is where they ask ridiculous questions-"Mum, would you rather be eaten by a lion or by a crocodile?" "Mum, would you rather die in a fire or drowning?" it never ends-the electric fence idea is a marvellous suggestion-I would go a step further, and put an electronic collar on them all-low setting of course lol.

15. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    BRILLIANT!!! That could really catch on - especially with three boys!