1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone help me to save my Cherry Laurel

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Eric Lai, May 16, 2022.

1. Eric Lai

Eric Lai Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    First, Sorry for my poor English and I will try my best to express myself.
    Second, I'm used to living in the city and have no idea about gardening, so sorry for my stupid question.

0468a796-1446-4112-b9ba-f0e92261a74b.jpg

My hedge plant (cherry laurel I guess) has had many holes on its leave since I moved in last winter. I haven't done anything and pray for it will recover after the winter. But I'm too naive. When I saw there were some green healthy leaves grow in this spring, I bought some spray that claimed that can kill the bacteria but used it a few times. But it doesn't work as expected and even the new green leave are infected!

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my plant and how to save it?

2. Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
    Ratings:
    +31,872
    Plant is Viburburum Tinus
    Viburburum Beetle larve, look on the under side of the new leaves you will see the larve (looks like a very small caterpillar) the larve do the most damage so you have to break the cycle, the Viburum plant will recover in time but you need to control the larve now and again next spring, you will also get the V beetle eating the leaves later on but don't do as much damage but also may need to be controled

Here is a picture of the larve (very small) and sometime they may be black in colour
    DSCF5664 (2022_04_09 12_55_51 UTC).JPG

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: May 16, 2022
    • Eric Lai

Ratings:
      +1
      Thank you very much! Is there any spray and medicine that can help to solve the problem?
      More than 90% of the leave has holes or black spots on them, so should I remove the serious ones as much as I can?

• Like Like x 1
      • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
        Ratings:
        +31,872
        There is a few spray which you can use, but i don't know the names of any sprays as i don't use them and the names seem to keep changing Sorry
        The plant will look untidy for a few months but will recover, the main thing is to stop/break the life cycle of the V Beetle

• Eric Lai

Ratings:
        +1