Can anyone help with id?

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Ses, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Ses

Ses Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya,
    We moved to our house last year and this rose is growing outside the front door. Does anyone know what it is? I'm such a newbie that I don't actually know if it's a climber or a rambler either so help with that would be great!!! It is scented if that makes helps?
    Many thanks,
    Ses

Attached Files:

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,124
    Hi @Ses Welcome to GC..

I am afraid I wouldn't know but our Resident Rose man @wiseowl would be the one to perhaps know this.. He will be along later I am sure.. :thumbsup:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,279
      Disclaimer This is only Woos own personal opinnion based on the fact that he doesn't mind making the odd error vary rarely:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

Good afternoon @Ses my friend before I start by putting my head on the block,I must explain that identifying any Rose is always very difficult and not an exact science :dunno: I have only a photo to go on in which the actual colours are never true,which depends on the camera and the time of day it was taken,then the petal count and the age of the Rose,plus the leaf colouring,the soil that it is planted in and many more factors:smile:

So with so little information and that there are well over 70.000 roses.

I would say that your Rose is a climber named "New Dawn" hope this helps in some way:smile::blue thumb:

• Like Like x 2
      • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
        Ratings:
        +6,543
        I thought of New Dawn even before I read Woo's answer as we have one of these and it looks identical to yours @Ses :smile: IMG_0858.JPG

• Like Like x 2
        • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,830
          I was thinking this too but reluctant to say as the specimen is rather small in height and that made me hesitant to reply. The flower looks right for New Dawn and the leaves too but it is rather small but with two strongly growing stems. @wiseowl you have confirmed my id, in my mind only so you get all the credit. New Dawn is a good rose, a climber with repeat flowering; it goes on into September and in a mild year longer. I think it was bread in the 1930s, ahead of it's time, and is pretty disease resistant....a good 'un in other words. I had one growing on a NE corner in a previous garden and it always did well, grows to about 3m.

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +89,279
            Good evening just a little more information;):blue thumb:

Everblooming Dr. W. Van Fleet
            The New Dawn

Light pink Large-Flowered Climber.
            Registration name: New Dawn
            Discovered by Rose Nursery,Somerset (United States, 1930).
            Introduced in United States by Henry A Dreer Archive in 1930 as 'New Dawn'.
            Introduced in Australia by Hazelwood Bros,Pty.Ltd in 1932 as 'New Dawn'.
            Climber, Hybrid Wichurana, Large-Flowered Climber. Earth Kind ™.
            Light pink. Moderate fragrance. up to 35 petals. Average diameter 4". Medium to large, full (26-40 petals), borne mostly solitary, cluster-flowered, in small clusters, cupped-to-flat bloom form. Blooms in flushes throughout the season.
            Arching, climbing. Medium, glossy, dark green foliage.
            Height of 10' to 20' (305 to 610 cm). Width of up to 8' (up to 245 cm).
            Hardy. very vigorous. drought resistant. shade tolerant. Prune after flowering is finished. Remove spent blooms only. This rose blooms on old wood.

sport of Dr. W. Van Fleet

• Like Like x 3
            • Ses

Ses Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
              +0
              Wow :-D that is awesome info from just a couple of photos guys!! The photo of new dawn does look quite a bit like it Kandy, the description is also great Wiseowl :-)
              The rose was looking quite miserable last year, so I took a chance and cut it back quite a lot, it had rust on it, so I gave it a feed and left it to do it's thing this year, only cutting off the branches that were touching the ground or rubbing each other. Is this the right way to go with this Rose? Also, if it's going to be a climber, am I best letting it go as high as it wants, tying in as it goes up the wall, or would it be happy being pruned to a manageable height? It smells lovely btw :-D
              So many thanks for the info guys!!
              Ses

• wiseowl

Philosophy of people
              Ratings:
              +89,279
              Good evening @Ses I couldn't see anything that your Rose has got anything to climb up,but New Dawn can be grown as a shrub if you keep it to a height that you want:smile:

• Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
              Ratings:
              +6,543
              IMG_0781.JPG Hi @Ses i have just found another photo of my New Dawn taken to n June when it was in full flower.As we are in drought conditions here where I live the bush is now starting to suffer a bit so the photo I put up was about the best I could offer:biggrin:

Here is another photo to help you:smile:

• Like Like x 3