1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone identify this flowering plant?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by SolarFlare, Apr 5, 2010.

1. SolarFlare

SolarFlare Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Pictures of it are here (my Flickr page):
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/46001037@N02/

I'm in Scotland, and three of these have sprung up in my garden. It's reminiscent of a daffodil but has no trumpet and the leaves are far broader. I've had suggestions of wild tulip and of trout lily, but neither of these quite fit. Any ideas?

I want to check that it's not poisonous to my cat. k-l

2. theplantman

theplantman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm, my best guess would be to agre with whoever said a species tulip of some sort, they look too tall and gangly but im thinking that may be due to lack of light?

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :scratch: Do you think you could get a better shot, but they do look as if they have stretched for the light as plantman said.. How long have the flowers been out, Were they that open to start with or have they gone to very open over a period of time..?? :scratch:

4. NatalieB

NatalieB Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Are they honey scented at all? Any violet striping on the back of the petals? Possibly could be Western Tein Shan - a miniature tulip that has 2-3 flowers per stem. They only grow about 5-6 inches in height, but the pics you have provided do look like they've stretched themselves out for light so not really going by the height.

5. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Looks to me like a Dogs Tooth Violet,{Erythronium} but then again could be wrong:D

6. theplantman

theplantman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    yes could be, most have more reflexed petals than that but i think your right

7. SolarFlare

SolarFlare Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    That's it! Lots of thanks to you Kandy. :thku:

Thank you all for answering. I was going to get some better photos but don't need to now. The Dogs Tooth Violet is exactly what it is! I looked it up and found that it's a member of the lily family. Lilies are very toxic to cats :( so pretty though the flower was, I have removed it from my garden. I'm very glad I checked it out and that my garden is safe my my cat again. k-l

Answering your other comments (many thanks for them):
    They do (did) have plenty of light; the wall you can see in the photo is my house and is south facing. That spot get's all the sun that the sky can give. The flowers naturally bend to face diagonally downward (similar to the hang of daffodils). In the photos I've deliberately pushed the flower up in order to get a picture of the full front of the flower; it doesn't hang like that naturally. I noticed them for the first time 2 days before I took the photos and they looked the same. They looked the same today (4 days after my first sighting), so I'm guessing that's their full bloom stance. They have no scent that I can detect, and the back of the flower is the same colour as the front (pale yellow). This morning, just before I removed them, I noticed a well developed bud on the same stem as an already existing flower, so it has more than one flower per stem, which is consistent with Dogs Tooth Violet.

Thanks again all. This thread is my first post on this website and the response and expertise has been amazing. I'll be sticking around here methinks. :gnthb: