1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone identify this plant?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Sandra-Tingle, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Sandra-Tingle

Sandra-Tingle Gardener

Ratings:
    +23
    This is my first spring living in my current location and there are these plants popping up all over the back garden. Judging by their appearance I would have guessed they were weeds, but their precise location along the borders would say otherwise. I am tempted to pull them all up but thought I'd come here for some advice before I do anything!

P1040815.JPG P1040816.JPG P1040814.JPG

2. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,177
    I think it's "brunnera" which I love for the true blueness of its flowers. Lovely little heralder of the Spring border.

3. Sandra-Tingle

Sandra-Tingle Gardener

Ratings:
    +23
    Thank you, perhaps they would look better without the holes all over the leaves. If anyone has advice for that too it would be appreciated!

4. Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
    Ratings:
    +3,254
  5. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sandra,

Long time no see, you settled in now?

Looks like catterpillar rather than slug damage, have a root around for him.

6. Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
    Ratings:
    +10,739
    Just to throw another one into the mix, I think it might be Green Alkanet (Pentaglottis sempervirens).

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/alkanet.htm

I've got a few of these popping up around my garden, they prefer a shady, damp spot and don't seem to spread to any other parts of the garden where these conditions are not met.
    Unless they're crowding out something else I leave them where they are for their attractive blue flowers in spring, which help to brighten up a dark corner.
    If you do want to get rid of them, you'll have to dig them up. The roots are quite tough and you won't get rid of them by simply pulling them out. Wear gloves too, as the leaves are very hairy and bristly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      There are a lot of Green Alkanets near where Sandra lives, I used to live there too.

• Like Like x 1
      • scillonian

scillonian Gardener

Ratings:
        +238
        I think you are right there Trunky. Looks more like Alkanet to me too.

• Like Like x 1
        • Sandra-Tingle

Sandra-Tingle Gardener

Ratings:
          +23
          Wow I step away for a little while and come back to find all these replies - it's great! Well regardless what they are I'm assuming they are not weeds! Looking at all the possiblities listed here I think they are probably alkanet. They do seem to be spreading a bit even though the area they are growing is covered with gravel and the leaves do feel bristly. The back garden is north facing with quite a bit of shade.
          They aren't the least bit attractive in my opinion. Caterpillers? Would they be active this early in the year? I see quite a few snail shells laying amongst the gravel as well.
          Ziggy yes pretty well settled now - still sorting out both the front and back garden though!
          I am still tempted to dig these up......

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          They only really come into there own when part of a wildflower border with Campions, Cow Parsley & similar.

I've had to hoik a few Catterpillars off things already this year, but if you've got snail shells then it could well be them.

• Sandra-Tingle

Sandra-Tingle Gardener

Ratings:
          +23
          Update....I removed all the alkanet and the back garden looks much improved. A deciding factor was when a neighbour commented on all the weeds we had!