1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone recommend a good electric saw?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Hadron, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Hadron

Hadron Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello, I'm new to this site. I've been gardening a while, but have just moved to a new house with a garden that needs a lot of work - there are several trees with branches that need removing and woody shrubs that need removing. I have a good pruning saw but there are just too many things to saw and I haven't got the strength! I thought buying an electric saw might help, and it might come in useful for other, non-gardening jobs as well. I really don't want a chainsaw. Can anyone recommend a good electric saw that will do the job? Thanks.

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner :sign0016:

Someone will come up with one soon i'm sure :)

3. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,167
    Good morning Hadron,
    they are probably all out sawing hedges and trees at the moment. Welcome to Gardeners Corner, I know a few that have mature gardens needing this type of pruning . Pop in again at tea time,
    :sign0016:
    Jenny namaste

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,002
    Hello and welcome to the forum Hadron :)

I've had a B&D Scorpion saw for a few years, it's very versatile for lots of DIY jobs on wood and metal. I've never used it for cutting branches as I've got a chainsaw, but this chap says it's the next best thing, I think for small branches as shown in the video it will be fine but not for anything bigger:

5. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,736
    Good morning Hadron and welcome my friend:smile: I use the Makita BJR182Z 18 V Reciprocating Saw ,I wouldn't want any electric wires hanging about(not safe)I use it for everything ,wouldn't be without it:smile:

But really it depends on how much you want to pay,If I feel like doing some old fashioned and quieter pruning I use my Wolf-Garten REK Folding pruning Saw:smile:

Hope this is of some help to you:smile:

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I have a reciprocating saw, like WOO's, but I also have an "electric saw" which I think I would prefer as a fall-back to using a chainsaw. Mine is a Dewalt DW390 (which I think is known as a Alligator Saw) but I expect there is loads of choice out there.

It has twin blades, running in opposing directions, which stops it "pulling" etc. Blades available for cutting all sorts - wood, drywall, plastic, poroton blocks etc.

[​IMG]

The latest model listed on Dewalts site (the DWE397) looks expensive - can't remember what I paid for mine, but I doubt it was that much - so might be that they have upgraded it a lot since

http://www.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/productdetails/catno/DWE397/

7. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    I've had a Scorpion saw for ages and although it's really useful for difficult to get at locations where you can't get a jigsaw blade to, I find it hard going cutting wood, but again it's useful to cut small branches where you can't get a chainsaw or bowsaw to them. I've just gone out in the garden and cut a couple of small branches off my neighbours' Lilac and that re-confirmed my belief that it's hard, slow work using one of them (it's OK, I'm supposed to be cutting it for them).

Reciprocating saws are supposed to be better, but I've never used one and have heard reports that they can be rather heavy, especially for single handed use.

8. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I used one to take a barn down ("As you do" :) ) and it cut through timber members and embedded coach bolts with ease - slowing down briefly as it encountered a bolt!

Definitely heavy to wield one-handed.

For manual sawing, where a Bow-saw won't fit, I have the equivalent of a Silky Pro Sentei - lovely rip-saw teeth (which cuts on the Pull, not the Push). That model has smaller teeth at the end which makes it easier to start the cut ...

[​IMG]
    http://www.niwaki.com/store/silky-prosentei/

(Cheaper at other suppliers IME)

Similar sort of thing in this Video:

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,002
      First google hit suggested £29.99 which I suddenly became very interested in, getting out the credit card when I realised that was just for a blade! You can get a completed B&D Scorpion saw including three blades for only £10 more. Still you get what you pay for

I like the sound of it being unsheathed on that video, a bit like a samurai sword :)

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      I've got one of these, which I think is more versatile as it can be used on the end of a telescopic handle http://www.gardenessentials.co.uk/p...CcmsjM0q6QCyhJOW7XmX0EwpuDa3gYRnO1hoCTVvw_wcB (I paid nowhere near that price as got both half price, handle's mainly used with an apple picker attachment)

[​IMG]

Scorpions are only £30 at B&Q and Amazon.

EDIT £25 @ Asda instore only while stocks last, just seen it on their website whilst looking for something else.

• Informative Informative x 1
        Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
      • Hadron

Hadron Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
        Wow, what a great bunch of replies! Thanks, everyone! I'm busy with the kids today (school holidays) but I should get a break tomorrow and I'll look into all your recommendations. My new garden's a nightmare - I've blitzed overgrown gardens in the past with no trouble, but this one's fighting back. There's loads of flint in the ground, so getting unwanted roots out is taking ages and there are trees growing out the middle of unruly shrubs, all less than a metre apart. Nothing seems to have been pruned here for years. Thanks again. Hadron

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
          Ratings:
          +31,167
          Knew that they'd come up with good advice Hadron. Such a great bunch of members here on GC .... :dbgrtmb:,
          Jenny namaste