1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone tell me why my lawn died???

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by sazza, Apr 15, 2005.

1. sazza

sazza Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me with this??
    I had a new lawn (turf) laid about 12 months ago and also new top soil the lawn was ok through the summer, but since the winter and the bad weather it has all but died and is now full of weeds and just mud!! the few blades of grass that are still there look like moss and are very yellow and break in the fingers
    do you think the soil could be to blame??
    I did feed the lawn back in sept and it was fine I have called the company back out, but they seem to be giving me the runaround they have said they would re seed it but do you think I should get the soil tested?? I'm really upset as the lawns back and front look so bad now and I paid over �£1000 pounds for this!! :eek: ! what do you think I should do???

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    From you description I would strongly suggest that you contact an expert to see what the heck has happened. Weeds will be from the turf in just a year - so could be the turf was the problem, but the yellowing grass/moss and mud worries me that there's something else going on - year old turf should be green at this time of year, whether it is weeds or grass.

Could be the soil (but that is not likely front and back), the feed you used in September, or the turf - but that sounds unlikely if it did fine during the summer. See if you can identify an expert from your local garden centre or the RHS who could survey the problem.

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    From you description I would strongly suggest that you contact an expert to see what the heck has happened. Weeds will be from the turf in just a year - so could be the turf was the problem, but the yellowing grass/moss and mud worries me that there's something else going on - year old turf should be green at this time of year, whether it is weeds or grass.

Could be the soil (but that is not likely front and back), the feed you used in September, or the turf - but that sounds unlikely if it did fine during the summer. See if you can identify an expert from your local garden centre or the RHS who could survey the problem.

4. Davidaevan

Davidaevan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like your garden is waterlogged, esp if it is wet after a dry period. For advice on drainage for a lawn, look to a good book about lawns. Also, you could look to advice from a good garden centre, they are always pleased to help. Do buy a soil testing kit, quite cheap and easy to use.