1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I add fertiliser AND bark mulch on top?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by MattW, Jul 1, 2018.

1. MattW

MattW Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi everyone

I’m new to gardening but I’m willing to put the hard work in. I’ve already planted about 70 plants in my sloping bed (all well established shrubs and perennials).

I now need to add fertiliser. Am I able to add fertiliser first and then add bark mulch on top? And what thickness should they both be?

The soil is fairl acidic and is clay (I think). I’ve also just laid a soaker hose down so I assume this will still work under a layer of fertiliser and bark mulch?

Thanks in advance!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Hiya MattW ...welcome :)
      Your plants? Are they suitable for acid soil? You "think" its fairly acid! Do a PH test...quick and cheap but very important.
      Fertiliser should be thinly scattered. Not too much. I think too many people overdo the fertiliser bit in the belief they will have extra super plants; they don't:noidea:
      Mulch? Only on moist soil and then at least 3" thick....7.5 cm. It depends on what mulch you are using too....if you are growing acid lovers then mushroom compost is fatal.
      Yes, fertilisers will "work""under a mulch; in fact they are better under a mulch. Fertilisers scattered on the surface are often wasted as some of the nutrient levels will evaporate.
      So, what plants are you growing there MattW? :)

• MattW

Ratings:
      +3
      Thanks. A bet a ph test then.

Not entirely sure what is there when we moved in but I’ve added (as mostly everything has died) hydrangeas, lavender (English and French), delphiniums, lots of roses, Fox gloves, scabiosas, midwinter fire, blueberry plants, choysa sun dance, and a couple of others which I can’t remember. I’ll take some pictures tonight if I remember and post them.

• Like Like x 1
      • MattW

Ratings:
        +3
        Oh and a couple of acers

• Like Like x 1
        • Verdun

Ratings:
          +17,487
          What colour are the hydrangeas? Bet you say "white" :)

• MattW

Ratings:
          +3
          Lol. ‘Pink’, white’ and ‘blue’ actually!

Attached Files:

• Verdun

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Oops! Pink or red signifies alkaline soil; blue usually reflects an acid soil
          However, looking at your garden, I would guess its neutral. So, get ph test done first :)

• MattW

Ratings:
          +3
          Never knew that! I only planted them 2 weeks ago though so how fast do they change?

• Verdun

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Ah well, that explains it. Very important to do PH test. You wont have blue and pink hydrangeas there in a year or two...in acid soil pink will turn purplish; in alkaline soil blue will colour towards red/purple,