Can I feed plants to much?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Andy Sumner, May 23, 2020.

1. Andy Sumner

Andy Sumner Apprentice Gardener

Technician
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all.
    Is it possible to overfeed plants? I have a cherry tree in a pot and I'm wondering how to gauge feeding it. The cherry tree has plenty of fruit and I would guess the largest are about 1/2" in size and green at the moment. I'm using miracle grow but as its in a pot should i feed the tree more. The tree it self is about 9 feet high. Another question if i may. Am i wasting my money by spraying miracle grow onto soil? Cheers all... Andy

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +20,950
    I think if you stick to the instructions on the packet regarding strength and frequency of treatment you won't go too far wrong.

• Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,184
      Hi,

From a quick web search, seems too much feed can be a problem for Cherry trees, so suggest you do some more research and info regarding feeding, paric about in pots.
      Your plant supplier, if from a known source, should have provided details of what to feed.

Its also said a balanced fertilizer is prefered eg 10 :10 :10 whereas the Miracle Grow ones do not seem to be, eg 7:3:5, which of their products are you using ?

No idea abou"spraying onto the soil" ? a new one on us , can you explain in more detail ?

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,348
      Just follow the instructions, maybe a tomato feed while the fruit is forming, but yes, dont overfeed, its not good.