Can I grow a climbing plant from a container?

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Jack Sparrow, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    I would like to build a portable screen to hide an eye sore (rubble, junk etc) at the end of my garden. My idea is to attach a wooden planting trough to the front of a 6ft square trellis panel and grow a climbing plant. I asked in a garden centre today and I was told the planter would have to be deep.

Can anyone tell me a)how deep it would have to be
    B) what sort of plants would be suitable

The spot would be in full sun virtually all day.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gary

2. Scudo

Scudo Gardener

Retired layabout
    Ratings:
    +268
    Although it would be for summer you may get away with less depth and sweet peas.

3. Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
    +5,414
    I am concerned about the weight of the trough. I am worried that once it is full of soil it will be to heavy for the frame and difficult to move.

I have just looked up sweat peas. They look interesting. I see there is a perennial type. It is less fragrant but that doesn't concern me. Can you by these as spring flowers? I don' fancy my chances with seeds plus I don't have that much patience.

Gary

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  4. Scudo

Scudo Gardener

Retired layabout
    Ratings:
    +268
    • Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,184
      What exactly do you mean by portable ? - so you can now and then move the trellis to get at the rubbish its hiding ?

Its a bit late in the season to start planting anything to grow much this year and to fill a 6x6 area will need a lot of fast growers even to cover it next year.

My thoughts would be to staple some of the green shading material to the back of the tellis so you immediately cover the eyesore or use a solid fence panel.

If you try and train plants up the trellis, then attempt to move the trellis and trough you will likely break the main stems of some of the plants.

Would think its better to use some large single pots with its own small trellis slightly forward from the covering fence /trellis; that makes moving the plants much easier.

Using sweet peas, they are tricky plants and easily die off if you do not deadhead every other day and need regular watering.

There are many other better choices, but what are your needs, just summer flowering or all year cover with a more evergreen look or a mix of both ?

Which direction is your trellis facing ?

Clematis and climbing roses can be grown in pots and give a lot of colour.

See the first pic in this link for what I mean about a small trellis in a pot.

plants in a pot with growing trellis - Google Search

• Like Like x 2
      • Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
        +5,414
        I have plenty of time to get myself organised. I don't plan to start anything until the spring. I have attached a photo of where I want the screen to go. It would go roughly where the old dog kennel is in the photo.

The screen also has a secondary purpose of deterring the grandchildren from going round there.

There are ready made trellis planters but they don't seem particularly big. Maybe 2 side by side is the answer.

Attached Files:

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,486
        Not many perennial climbers will enjoy being in a container Jack Sparrow....and if you want it to be vigorous and hide that tank. There are a couple including Clematis Sieboldii that do well and look good in summer in a container say about 80 cm deep and wide.
        The perennial sweet pea is not fragrant and I found it a disappointing plant :noidea:
        ricki has asked some important questions.....???:)

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,486
        Our posts crossed there Jack Sparrow.
        The picture helps.......
        How about a couple of camellias? They are evergreen, happy in pots, lovely in bud and beautiful in spring with their flowers. In summer they still look good. Another pot or two with summer osteospermums would add colour all summer...??:)

• Scudo

Scudo Gardener

Retired layabout
        Ratings:
        +268
        I did experiment with sweet peas this year although I got behind with everything (garden wise) as I had 2 spells in hospital so with being behind I just shoved stuff in pots before I lost them.
        For next year I intend to have a wider span of sweet peas in front of the blowaway, I have got 3 plastic troughs that will give me the width I require.

peas.jpg

Out front I have some dahlias given to me from a member on here, again due to hospital it was dig a hole and get them in as they were sprouting in storage.. They are about 5 feet tall and have loads of flowers now.

It really depends on what you want, personally I would go for stuff that will come up each year with minimal upkeep but wife wants her cut flowers.

DSCN1130.JPG

• Like Like x 1
          Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
        • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
          +10,302
          Why not just tidy the area up ? you have soil and rocks already in place to make a nice rockery, a couple of hours work and it would be done.

• Creative Creative x 1
          • Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
            +5,414
            These are my Dahlias. Last year when I potted them they were amazing. This year there was one flower head .

I definitely want minimum upkeep. Once they are in they are in. In theory at least. I have never planted anything yet that has survived. Hopefully now I have joined this forum my luck will change

Attached Files:

• Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
            +5,414
            @martin-f I have plans for rocker ies elsewhere in more prominent places in the garden. That corner of the garden used to be a shed. It is a bit of a dead spot. There are too many tree roots protruding to be able to do too much to it. There is also a lot of junk you can't see in the photo, concrete posts, old tyres etc. Eventually it will all be cleared up but for now I want to mask it the best I can. I also want to keep the children out of there. In an ideal world I would like to move the sheds against the fence and have the path the other side. I would then have more lawn and less border. Heaven. I will have to win the lottery for that to happen. ☹️

• Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
            +5,414
            @martin-f I have plans for rocker ies elsewhere in more prominent places in the garden. That corner of the garden used to be a shed. It is a bit of a dead spot. There are too many tree roots protruding to be able to do too much to it. There is also a lot of junk you can't see in the photo, concrete posts, old tyres etc. Eventually it will all be cleared up but for now I want to mask it the best I can. I also want to keep the children out of there. In an ideal world I would like to move the sheds against the fence and have the path the other side. I would then have more lawn and less border. Heaven. I will have to win the lottery for that to happen. ☹️

• Like Like x 1
            • Scudo

Scudo Gardener

Retired layabout
              Ratings:
              +268
              That was like mine about 3 weeks ago and suddenly they have lots of flower heads, I think you will see them blossom soon. Each year is different ...weather conditions etc.

• Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
              +5,414
              @Scudo . It has been unusually hot and dry this summer. Maybe the rain we have had in the last week has been enough to kick start them off.