1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can i grow Thuga green giant aborvitae in a small woodlot? Dappled light

Discussion in 'Trees' started by James Vellozzi, Jul 24, 2022.

1. James Vellozzi

James Vellozzi Apprentice Gardener

Science teacher
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hello
    Behind my residence is a small woodlot that is very open with about 15-20 mature red oaks. I took care of 6 relatively mature Norway maples this spring. The amount of ambient n filtered light has dramatically increased in the woodlot. It’s now a great time to re establish sub canopy trees that got shaded out by the death shade of those Norway maples.

i am also trying to create more privacy from the noisy elementary school playground that is opposite the woodlot, i am trying to establish both native trees and some ever greens to add structure back to the woods. I am also as I’ve stated trying to get more privacy and reduce the amount of child noise pollution that streams right through the woodlot into my backyard.

Thus far I’ve planted white pines, hemlocks, mountain laurels, and even some spice bush.
    I wanted to know if i can grow green giant aborvitaes in a dappled light/ light shade environment. I know the deer do not eat these as well. While I’m aware i will not get an extremely dense screen I’m hoping that with enough scattered trees in the understory that greater privacy will incur and also the structure of the woodlot will be more attractive to local birds.
    Can you recommend any other evergreens to help build privacy while increasing the density of this very small woodlot.
    Thank you so much for any ideas.
    Happy gardening.. James.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,047
    Hi James,

Sorry this is not something I have experience of, hope another member pops in to help.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,634
      Sounds like a great project but as to whether this particular plant will thrive in these conditions is not something I would know.
      I believe it is a forest tree so stands a chance, but may grow a bit thin reaching up for the light.

• Like Like x 1