1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I leave Celery in the ground for a while yet?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by silu, Sep 30, 2017.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    As I mentioned months back,I had a bit of an accident sowing Celery seeds (the seed resembles dust!) the whole lot came out in a oner and with the resulting very good germination (beginners luck:)) I have grown gargantuan amounts :yikes:. Despite Celery being on the menu A LOT i still have maybe 50 plants that are now some size. I am intending to freeze the remainder and make soup with it during the winter but have failed miserable to eat down the big chest freezer contents enough to accommodate it all. Can I leave some of it in situ for a while yet? We will no doubt be getting frosts very soon (near last night) but wondered if this is not a good idea? I know the plants themselves are tender and will be killed by frost but wondered how long the plants once frosted would remain edible? Have a feeling the answer may be not long so may have to set up a stall at the side of the road and give the excess away.:rolleyespink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Are they trenched up @silu ?
      You can leave them in the ground if they are :)

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        They will die and turn to mush.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
      • silu

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Oh hell's teeth and damnation. No they are not trenched up @Zigs, they are the self blanching variety. I feared exactly what @Scrungee describes. Omg I think what I'll have to do is process as much as I can in my food processor to get the bulk down to as small as possible to go in the freezer and offer what's left to anybody and everybody I know:rolleyespink:

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          • Like Like x 1
          • silu

Ratings:
            +8,083
            :snorky::Wino::Wino::Wino: Trust you @Zigs to come up with a boozy idea:). God it sounds revolting:lunapic 130165696578242 5:. Right then who has tried brewing this? If this "premier cru" is good I wonder why I have never heard of it having been not averse to sampling plenty of different beverages in my time:scratch:. I can't say the thought of drinking Celery tasting wine is something I had always wanted to try:).Unless I can be persuaded otherwise I think I'll give the thumbs down to your idea, get the family to eat vast quantities of food out of the freezer over the next month and prey we don't have a frost in the meantime.

• Funny Funny x 2
            • Scrungee

Ratings:
              +28,997
              Supposed to be pale green and insipid rather than actually revolting.

• Funny Funny x 2
                Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
              • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                Just like i like my Women then :snorky:

• Scrungee

Ratings:
                +28,997
                You been taking them out boat fishing?