Can I plant several Roses in one container?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by merleworld, Aug 14, 2014.

1. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    I've got half a dozen or so Roses in containers which I want to free up. Some of them will go in the borders but I am thinking about moving two or three into one large container (70cm wide and the same(ish) height).

I like the 'mass planting' effect this would give me.

Obviously I'd need to root prune more often and ensure they are properly fertilized, but is there any reason why I can't plant them together?

Many thanks :scratch:

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,263
    Good morning Merleworld This is me with my Rose head on :heehee:IMHO everything I have been taught says no ,canes crossing over each other and touching creating wounds and disease,if one Roses gets sick then so will the others,difficulty with deadheading,and as you mention roots entangling,a container Rose relies solely on you for its water,nutrients etc ,and to me 70cm isn't large enough:smile:

Ok this me the Rose gardener I say go for it my friend "Rose rules are made to guide you not to bind you";) I am always trying new and sometimes frowned upon methods(by other Rosarians) Good for you my friend,I would like to see the results and then we will both be a little Rose wiser,I wish you every success,and please let Woo know how you get on:blue thumb::smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,310
      Following on from Woo's advice......

70cm that's about 27 inches I think in my language. Unless they are patio or miniature roses then I would say no. Most shrub roses usually have a spread of at least 3ft, I can't see how you will get more than one in a pot this size Merleworld. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • TurnedThespian

TurnedThespian Gardener

Reformed Luvvie
        Ratings:
        +510
        I have three roses planted side by side in a wooden crate. I'd say it's about 120cm in length though, so larger than the one you're proposing. With hindsight, I would have just planted two side by side, I may have to move the third. If I had thought to photograph them while they were in flower, I'd post a picture, but they're not quite so interesting now that they're not flowering. The two more established plants are doing nicely, and I don't mind that they sort of cross-over. They do require quite a bit of maintenance with this set up (I have to train them), but I only have a small container garden, so I don't mind doing it this way.

• Informative Informative x 2
          Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
        • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +89,263
          Good morning T/T and many thanks for your post and there's nothing like being able to pass on your answer when you have experienced the question first hand :blue thumb::smile:

• Agree Agree x 1