1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I plant summer bulbs now?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sienna's Blossom, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Sienna's Blossom

Sienna's Blossom Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,936
    :hapflowers2:

Hi again!

Another question please, I saw that B&Q had lots of reduced summer bulbs that should've been planted in the spring.

Can I plant them now for flowers next summer, or should I store them until spring, and would they be OK to store that long?

What about if I planted them in the autumn along with my daffodils etc?

What do you think?

Any help much appreciated as always :)

:ThankYou:

• Like Like x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Not for me Sienna :)
      I would prefer to buy fresh, plump spring bulbs later rather than dried up stocks. Quality for me every time so buy bulbs I know will make a good show next spring

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Sienna's Blossom

Sienna's Blossom Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,936
        I can see your point there @Verdun

I'd been looking at a Liatris Spicata plant that caught my eye (I'd never heard of it before) and then I saw these bulbs of the same plant. Beautiful looking thing, may be tempted to buy the actual plant itself and maybe take a chance on some bulbs too.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Sienna, yes! buy tha plant itself....you can hopefully see the colour too.

I bought a couple of liatris kobold 4 years or so back when the GC was having a summer sale, so about now. I cut them back hard, divided each into 3 pieces and potted them up. They made excellent full size plants for the following year and since :)

This is a good time of year to buy quality plants cheaply and divide them. Not much point in planting out perennials that have finished flowering without dividing them and keeping them out of sight whilst they grow on:)

• Like Like x 1