Can I prune this...and can I prune it now? :-)

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Markymark, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Markymark

Markymark Gardener

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +125
    This tree (which Nobody on planet earth seems to definitely know what it is) is at least ten years old now. It is a grafted tree (is that right?) and is supposed to be pruned into a globe shape. It does flower very early on and the general consensus is that it may be some sort of cherry (no fruit though ever). It is now too high for me to reach to the top. I am about to get a new shed in a few weeks and am tearing down the old one tomorrow. Looking into the centre of this tree, the branches are very crowded. They are rubbing in places and I just wondered whether anyone can advise me on pruning. I'm not too bothered about the globe shape. Can I just cut away branches? I know this will then create gaps in the tree but am assuming these will just fill in, over time. Worse case scenario, if I was to cut it right back, would it sprout new growth? I've included two photos of it now and hopefully one which I took a while back when it was in leaf.

Thank you so much as always. The ones 'in leaf' are the best I've got....you can just about see it in each photo! The ones 'in leaf' were also taken over the last two or three years. It's grown quite a bit since then.
    Mark

IMG_0228.jpg IMG_0229.jpg IMG_0329.JPG IMG_0703.JPG IMG_0716.JPG IMG_0918.JPG

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2019
    • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +49,906
      I would say it is a black cherry tree. Speaking on behalf of the cat, of course! :heehee: :cat-kittyandsmiley:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +117,299
        Sorry, I can't help about pruning but it appears that, from what you say, it's getting out of hand. Have you thought about whether it's the right tree for the place it is in? :noidea: :)

• Markymark

Markymark Gardener

Teacher
        Ratings:
        +125
        It's in the perfect spot I think...it looks lovely at the bottom of the garden. I just know that in six weeks time, when the new shed arrives, the fitters will say it's in the way for them to put up the new shed. I'm now thinking I may have cut it quite low but am hoping it will still sprout.
        If not I'll have to cut it down to the stump. I'd be gutted :-( the pic is when I planted it. It was/is lovely ha ha

Attached Files:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +117,299
          That's the problem with trees :noidea: they grow! :doh: We've had to cut down a lot of trees that we've planted due to them outgrowing their site, despite some pruning. We've been here 47 years and it still upsets us when we have to remove any trees.

With your tree it might be worth taking the chance on cutting it back as far as you need to in order to get the shed in. If it works then you will just need to prune it each year. :blue thumb:

• Agree Agree x 1
          • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +8,190
            Hi Markymark, Lovely Black Cat. I agree with shiney, cut it back to accommodate the new shed, you may lose a few flowers/blossom but I'm sure it will pick up. Certainly take out some of the middle to allow the air to circulate.

• Markymark

Markymark Gardener

Teacher
            Ratings:
            +125
            Thank you so much. If I cut the developing buds off now which are right at the ends of the branches, I take it the will just form lower down? I will definitely have a go at it this week and hope for the best. I really want to avoid cutting it down. I'd miss it!!! Ha ha thanks once again.

• Friendly Friendly x 2