1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I put chicken manure straight on my plot

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by lazy-gardener, Mar 21, 2021.

1. lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    hi, I have been given a large amount of chicken manure/ waste. Can I put this straight onto my plot or do I need to compost it first.?

2. luis_pr

luis_pr Gardener

Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas, USA; USDA Zone 7b/8a
    Ratings:
    +125
    Yes, compost it first. It is normally not a great idea to add fresh chicken manure to an actively growing garden. That is because poultry manure can harbor bacteria like E. coli and Salmonella. Check locally to see how much time is recommended in the UK. The time usually depends on the conditions under which the manure is composted.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,199
      For the Lazee gardener much better to use the pelleted chicken manure which has no smell either, bet your heap of fresh manure is minging ! Hope you have it on an allotment and not near your house!