1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I rescue this lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by umvert, Feb 27, 2010.

1. umvert

umvert Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Moved into a new house and the grass was 3 feet high.

Have cut it all down by hand, and now left with brown patchy grass with raised clumps?!

Is there any way of making this look good again??

Or do I need to dig it all up and re-seed?
    If so, how and when should I do that?

Im very new to all this, sorry

2. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Welcome to the forum Umvert.
    Yes, you can rescue that grass but you won't get it into Wimbledon overnight - but probably easier than digging up and reseeding.
    Cut the grass regularly - that alone will make it look better.
    Put an edge round the grass - quite easy by just going round with a sharp spade , plunging the edge in and clearing away the straggly stuff from the edges. The difference in appearance will give you the heart to carry on.
    When the weather gets a bit better and the weeds in the grass are growing well treat the whole area with lawn weed and feed. Spray individual clumps of persistent weed with lawn weed killer.
    As for the bumps - well over time edge round the bumps with your spade and lift the turfs out, level to match the surrounging grass, and put the turfs back.
    Any hollows can be levelled up by putting some sand and compost mixture on top pf the grass which is there. The grass will grow up through it or you can sprinkle some grass seed on it.
    Keep working away at it and by the end of summer you might be quite pleased with your lawn.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,629
    I go along with Alice, its amazing how much difference regular mowing has to coarse grass and weeds.

Weed and feed in a couple of months will make a big difference.

I've made a "lawn" out of worse than that in the past.

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    With the general condition of the site, especially the bare patches. I would say, weed killer it all, rotovate and reseed.:gnthb: You will save pounds by doing that.

5. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    rake up all the grass you've cut and start to row regularly, when weather permits, using a mower with a grassbox. Start a lawn maintenance programme. Couple of good books in the shops on lawns.

Start with mower at its highest setting and gradually reduce over 2 to 3 months