1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I save my Dragon Tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by dymondlil, Feb 5, 2010.

1. dymondlil

dymondlil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the Dragon Tree about 2 years and it's been thriving until now. The leaves are turning yellow. As you can see in the pic it's not just the bottom leaves it's the very ends of the top(new) leaves as well.:(
    I left it in it's usual place in the conservatory through the winter, as I wasn't sure if I should bring it to a warmer room or not. I've kept a careful eye on it and it seemed O.K. until about 10 days ago. I've now brought it into the living room, but I don't know if I've acted too late?:( I would be very grateful if anyone can give me some advice. Many thanks.
    [​IMG]

2. theplantman

theplantman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Could be one of a few things see which you think is possible?

The consevatory got very cold in the cold spell (unlikely but it was very cold and if it wasnt used to it? black leaves or mushyness are usually symptomes of cold)

Over watering - looks like the symptoms over watering and combination of cold and wet may have done it.

Severe over feeding..this normally shows up as yellow brown tips to the leaves, looks a bit too yellow to be that but its possible?

Underwatering again symptoms dont look right, crinkly yellow bottom leaves and tips all over would probably show with drought.

Cant see it being a pest but it could be I suppose....was conservatory warm or cool.

3. theplantman

theplantman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    oops sorry can you save it.....yes...identifying what went wrong is important though.

(also it may take a while to look tip top again)

4. dymondlil

dymondlil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your response Plantman.
    The conservatory DID get very very cold a few weeks back, but the plant has no black leaves and no mushyness either.
    I have been watering the plant every 10 days or so......when I notice that the compost is quite dry......but I haven't used feed since last summer.
    From what you say, I'm tending to think it could be overwatering in too cold a room?
    Have I done the right thing then in bringing it into the living room? Obviously it's much warmer in this room, the plant is about 3' away from the window so doesn't get direct sunlight and it isn't near a radiator.
    Is there anything else I should do to aid it's recovery?

5. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,523
    Oh, is that what that is called. I had one years ago. Gave it away when I moved.

6. theplantman

theplantman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    yes inside will be fine (not near a radiator or anywhere too hot) if its possible take it out of pot and see if drainage holes have become blocked, also check for eggy smell around the roots. Otherwise lay of the watering it can get pretty dry this time of year (not too dry of course). So long as the stems are firm and uppermost leaves in tact then only cosmetic damage hasd been done.

7. dymondlil

dymondlil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again! I'll take it out of the pot tomorrow to check the roots. The stem is still firm, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I can bring it back to health.

8. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This is what I was thinking also.