1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I save my jade plant? (suspected root rot?)

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by please-help-my-plants, Sep 27, 2020.

1. please-help-my-plants

please-help-my-plants Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I rescued this plant today from outside a relative's house who recently passed away. It was always kept in a conservatory but had been moved outside as there was no one at the house for the past few months. The pot had no drainage holes so it was completely waterlogged.

I tried to free the roots and planned to re-pot in some new dry soil. The root was covered in a solid block of soil which took a while to gently loosen. I didn't know if to carry on removing it as I was worried about damaging the roots so I stopped (see picture). Most of the roots were weak and just fell straight off, and some of the bigger ones were a bit squishy inside when I looked. I am worried that it might be root rot and want to stop it before it infects further up the plant.

I am a beginner in plant-care, and don't really know what is the best thing to do:
    - Do I just leave it and hope for the best with new dry soil and not watering it for a while?
    - Should I strip the plant roots back a bit more to the stumpy bit? Will the roots re-grow if I remove a lot?
    - If not, is there a way to reroot the plant from further up the main trunk?
    - Or, should I just chop the branches off to create a new plant?

The plant itself looks ok I think, the leaves seem firm and healthy like my other jade plant. I will be keeping it inside from now on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,501
    You can just take off a stem and allow the stem to dry for a few days and the cut to callous over.
    Then just bury it an inch into a well drained cactus compost, it should root easily if kept warm on a windowsill.
    Equally, just a leaf will root and create a new plant, but its a longer process.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Greybelle

Greybelle Gardener

Ratings:
      +33
      Amazing piece of really useful information, Pete.
      Hope you succeed in saving the Jade plant and/or reproducing it, Please-help-my-plants. Send some pics if you are successful

• Friendly Friendly x 1