1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I save my succulent? LIPSTICK ACHEVERIA

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Amylouise97, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Amylouise97

Amylouise97 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!
    I've had this lipstick acheveria for about a year now. She used to be huge and due to over watering, all the outer leaves fell off and I'm left with this teeny tiny plant.
    I would really like to save it, as it holds a lot of sentimental meaning to me.
    I will attach a picture of what it used to look like compared to what it looks like now :(
    Does anybody have any advice on how I can regrow roots and save this plant?
    Thank you so much!
    Amy x 20220430_110723.jpg 20220430_110711.jpg Screenshot_20220430-193736_PictureThis.jpg 20220430_110655.jpg 20220430_110655.jpg 20220430_110723.jpg

2. Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +18,153
    Let the cut end dry off and then put it in some gritty compost.

• Like Like x 2
    • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,667
      Hi @Amylouise97 , welcome to the forum!
      Your Echeveria should be just fine, like Michael Hewett said, plant it up in gritty soil and off it goes. New roots will form from the bottom and from between the lowest leaves and the plant will make side shoots over the summer. :)

At this time of the year I root succulent cuttings by potting them up and leaving on the garden table. It's too tempting to water them so a gentle neglect with exposure to some rain works better for me.

Going forward, the plant will need a bright spot, a small pot with drainage holes and water only when the compost is dry (plunk your finger in it to test). The main rosette may die after a while but the babies will romp on.

• Like Like x 1
      • Amylouise97

Amylouise97 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +0

• Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +18,153
        I find it best to stand the pot in a dish of water for a while, until the compost becomes slightly moist. Then let it dry out before repeating the process.

• Like Like x 2
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,924
          Another way I do it is to not actually water after the first watering but spray a couple of times a day.
          Everyone has their own way that works best for them, just avoid it staying wet for long periods as it will rot.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Like Like x 1