1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

can i transplant Pieris

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by McTavish14, Mar 2, 2015.

1. McTavish14

McTavish14 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi
    I'm not very good at gardening-being fairly new to having one, but my father has just died and I would like to transplant some of the plants from his garden to mine.
    I'm not sure if this will be possible but would appreciate if anyone can give me advice on the way most likely to succeed.
    The main problem is that he is in Aberdeen (Scotland) while I live in Doncaster (yorkshire) -so its about 6 hrs in the car.
    The main plants I'm hoping to take are Pieris (forest flame I think).
    One is fairly large, one medium and the third only 2 yrs old so not very big yet.
    I would like to know if I should if I should cut them down /prune them first ?(if so some advice on how would be appreciated)
    Also if I should put roots in a bag with soil or shake soil off ?
    I intend to try anyway and hope for the best,so any advice/suggestions would be welcome.

Mctavish

• Like Like x 2
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,993
      Its really down to how well established they are, the longer, the more difficult.

Try to keep at least some of the rootball intact, and pruning back the top growth is a good idea.
      Try to bag the rootballs in large plastic sacks to prevent moisture loss, and replant as soon as you can.

Pieris tend to like slightly acid soil, so I hope you have that in Doncaster.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
        Ratings:
        +31,183
        Welcome to Gardeners Corner Mctavish. I think that Pieris has quite a compact root ball and should not be too much of a problem to dig up. Err on the side of caution to start with - you can always remove excess soil to leave just enough so as not to disturb those roots. Pieris prefers acid as opposed to alkaline growing conditions (ie. same as Rhododendrons, Azaleas and Camellias) and a sheltered spot will prevent leaf "wind burn" if you can manage that. It will soon be starting to get "active" and give those fiery red bracts so try and do it ASAP ,
        good luck,
        a lovely idea,
        Jenny namaste

• Agree Agree x 3
        • Like Like x 1
        • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
          Ratings:
          +31,183
          Almost posting at the same time!!
          Jenny

• Like Like x 1
          • Morgan Shore

Morgan Shore Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +27
            I love Pieris Forest Flame, good choice!

Pieris responds well to pruning in springtime so I believe it will be fine to transplant. It is a popular plant that does well in Scottish gardens but I don't see a problem with you growing it in Yorkshire. Keep it in a sunny location or under part shade, it can also benefit from ericaceous compost or some peat.

Depending on how much space you have in your car I would place the roots in a bag with soil.

• Like Like x 3
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +31,885
              Welcome to GC, @McTavish14 :sign0016:

No experience of pieris, but I would just like to add my condolences regarding the passing of your father. I think it is a wonderful idea to keep something from his garden and to nurture it in your own.
              How much time do you have to pack up his home and garden?
              When you have decided (based on the advice from members above) which shrub to try and transplant, maybe you could take cuttings from one of the other plants? That way you would increase your chances of a success (just in case transplanting a whole shrub doesn't prove successful).

@Morgan Shore - :sign0016: to GC to you too :)

• Like Like x 2
              • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                +8,083
                I've moved Pieris a few times in the past. The good news is that from now on is a good time to move them. I live in Scotland too, so the timing in Aberdeen will be pretty much the same as here. Much better than winter or summer. If you can I would water the plants well about 2 to 3 days prior to lifting them if it has been dry up in The Granite City. As others have said try and take as much soil/roots with the plants as possible. Wrap the root balls in heavy duty (if there is large weight involved) plastic and only prune the large shrub if it's going to be awkward to get into your car. If you damage any large roots, prune to where it's been damaged, making a nice clean cut.

Not sure what PH of soil you have in Doncaster. If you/neighbours are growing the likes of Rhododendrons,Azaleas, Heather then all should be well. If not then you would be best to invest in a good amount of peat and mix that in the new planting holes. I personally would use peat/leaf mould when replanting anyway to give the roots an easy time establishing.

During this sesaon be careful not to ever let the Pieris go without a good supply of water and if there is a hot spell (here's hoping) I would spray the leaves of the plants thoroughly after the sun has gone down. Hope you succeed as they are lovely shrubs and not that fast growing unfortunately so well worth the effort of trying to move them. PS remember to fill back the holes left in your late Father's garden. You don't want the new owners being decidedly unimpressed! In the past when I have taken plants from the garden of my old house to my new home I have actually asked the buyers as strickly speaking they are buying the plants in the garden just as much as the door handles of the house!

Usually people don't mind as long as you don't leave the garden looking as though bombs have dropped on it.

• McTavish14

McTavish14 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                +7
                Thanks everyone.
                I haven't a clue about taking cuttings
                I've got some bags of compost for the heather in my garden in Doncaster which I believe is the same?
                McTavish

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                +8,083
                Any growing medium which suits Heathers will be fine for the Pieris. I'd be generous with improving the soil in the planting holes. A good 20 odd ltrs of peat/ericaceous compost for the big shrub and a fair doze for the other 2. Having gone to the effort of moving the shrubs it's worth a few bob to give them the best chance of survival. I fail to understand why people spend fortunes on buying plants and then expect them to survive and flourish in "concrete". IMO/ experience Pieris are quite difficult to strike from cuttings if you don't have bottom heat and it will take a fair while for cuttings if they do root to reach any sort of reasonable size. If you are careful and don't let the roots of the plants you are lifting dry out all should be well. The big Pieris is the most likely not to survive the move but still worth giving it a go.