1. THE MAY PHOTO COMP IS OPEN TO ALL MEMBERS COME AND JOIN IN..
    Dismiss Notice

Can I use this soil ? Help please.

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Isab, May 15, 2019 at 3:53 PM.

1. Isab

Isab Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Recently I opened some bags of organic soil I had from last summer and all of them seemed to have some type of mould or fungus, smelt like mushrooms and it was clumped together. I filled a couple of grow bags, making sure to sieve it with my hands and after a while it seemed better but it is still kind of clumps together again. Any advice? Can I still use it to grow vegetables successfully? Please see attached photos for reference. Thanks.

Sac.JPGGrowbag.JPGBefore&AfterSieving.JPG

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 5:24 PM
  2. ricky101

ricky101 Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,239
    Hi,

Well think that white is Mycelium, part of the natural breakdown of organic matter.

Just going from your pics, it looks like a strong mix, could be mushroom compost or farmyard manure, hard to tell.

I would not use it for seeds or growing young veg in pots, more as a top dressing around established plants in the veg plot or flower boarder.

3. Isab

Isab Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Ricky101. It was supposed to be multipurpose compost, but it has way too much wood chip in it. I was considering mixing it with new compost but I think you are right. Will keep it as topsoil.

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 6:32 PM