1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can onions and garlic, bought for Spring planting be planted now?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by "M", Sep 29, 2012.

1. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    As the title says really :dunno:

Bought some in the Spring, but, due to finals never got around to planting them. I notice some are planting onions and garlic now ... so I began to wonder if I could plant these? Or, would I be best leaving them until *next* Spring?

TIA

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    Good question, especially as some shops are now selling off sets for 25p per bag. I'm sure someone will come along and tell us:)

• Like Like x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      My concern is, there must be Spring/Autumn varieties :dunno:
      On the other hand, if I plant my spring ones in Autumn, they have two choices: survive, or not? :dunno:

I'm kind of thinking that I should experiment and take the consequences; after all, these were Aldi stock and if they are only good for Spring, I haven't lost a lot by trying?

• Like Like x 1
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,595
        That's my view too Mum. If the ground gets waterlogged, there's a real chance the sets will just rot, but then my guess is they wouldn't fare much better waiting til spring. I could be wrong though.

I think the biggest 'risk' if you can call it a risk, is that the bulbs just wont fill out, because they wont get enough energy with the lack of sunlight, but I reckon they might make ok scallions.

• Like Like x 1
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          Aha!!! Scallions! What a good thought :dbgrtmb: Ok, I am prepared to put it to the test: tomorrow's task will be; plant those onions and garlic and .... accept the consequences! This could be interesting ;)

• Like Like x 1
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            Oh, and they will be planted in a raised bed.