1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can Phormium Jester be cut completely back?

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Mamashoe, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Mamashoe

Mamashoe Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    A good morning to you all

My Phormium (I think it's Jester), not entirely sure though, is looking a bit "rusty" and just not looking that good. It's been in the same place for about 3 years in full sun and VERY well drained soil. I usually just cut off the straggly bits but I was wondering if I cut it back down to the ground if it would give it a new lease of life for next year or just a premature death! I only added a picture as I didn't actually know what it was called and had to google it. There might be someone out there that recognizes it like myself without actually knowing the name.

Also, I am really sorry but do you create a new thread when you want to ask a different question non relevant to the previous ones? I've never been on a Forum of any sort and am a little confused and feeling like a mug...:redface:

Attached Files:

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    No need to apologise. We all started at some point in the past :)

Yes, please start a new thread for each (unrelated) question. Gets confusing if people start posting replies to the various different questions otherwise. An exception might be if you have photographs of four plants that you needed an ID for - putting them in a single post numbered 1 to 4 would do for that :)

This post has gone into the wrong section ("For Sale"). Don't worry about that, but it may mean that the best people to answer it might not see it, so in future you might want to try:

Navigate to the most suitable forum. For example if you follow this link it will list all the gardening forums:

http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/forums/gardening-forums.89/

pick the most suitable. By far the most posts wind up in "General Gardening Discussion" so if you aren't sure which is best ... choose that one!

Then click on the "Post new thread" button at the top right of the page.

Then write your question :)

If possible/relevant upload a photo. Folk here love to see pictures, and it often helps with answering a question. I assume as you have already uploaded a picture on this thread that you are OK with how to do that, but if you get stuck just ask - folk here will be happy to help (and if not let me know and I'll send Ziggy and the boys round to sort them out!!)

Sorry, no idea about your Phormium question

• Like Like x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,595
      I've moved the thread from 'For Sale' to 'General Gardening Discussion':)

• Like Like x 1
      • Mamashoe

Ratings:
        +14
        Thank you !

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          Looks like a Phormium jester mamashoe , I have one in a container , its a lovely plant. Mine is in its third year and as you I just prune and tidy a few dead leaves off it. My previous phormiums I lost in the last hard winter. Before that I cut one back and split it ( very hard work !!! ) and it did nothing after that. May be someone knows the correct method and time to rejuvenate a phormium.

• Mamashoe

Ratings:
          +14
          Thanks Harry. Maybe I'll just cut the rusted leaves off then. Have you split them before? (without cutting it back) I'd love to have one in my front garden too, without the extra cost! :biggrin:

• Mamashoe

Ratings:
          +14

Thank you ever so much Kristen for the explanation. It made me feel so much better...I didn't dare ask my girls....I just get the "eye rolling" and "really?" !! :-)

• alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
          Ratings:
          +2,618
          My phormium looked ghastly in the spring (brown and at death's door), so I cut it back to just the stalk and gave it a feed. It has started growing from the base and in just a few weeks has put on a healthy set of new leaves.

• Mamashoe

Ratings:
          +14
          Hi Alana. That's great news. Thank you. I might split it at the same time. Fingers crossed.:SUNsmile:

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +49,509
          Hi Mamashoe, and welcome to GC :sign0016:

You'll like it here - very friendly forum, and not one of those where you will get keyboard warriors on your case if you happen to step outside what they deem to be etiquette. If there is anything you don't know, or don't understand, don't be shy about asking - we all help each other along on here. :grphg:

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +14,311
          Hi Mamashoe and welcome..
          Phormiums seem to struggle in very dry conditions so once you've tidied it up / split it, it would be worth improving the soil with some sort of moisture-retaining material, and give the soil around it a good soak from time to time :-)

• Mamashoe

Ratings:
          +14

• Mamashoe

Ratings:
          +14
          Thanks noisette47. That may be part of the problem. My Phormium is in a very dry area and I tend not to water that area very often as it is in the "well established area" I will, however, do so from now on. Fortunately, where I'm going to plant the other piece is more moist. Thanks for the tips.