1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can someone help identify this please?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Glen Williams, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Glen Williams

Glen Williams Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Im a complete novice to gardening and was wondering if someone would be kind enough to identify this weed for me (picture attached). I showed someone who said it could be dock or even worse knotweed! Bit worried about it so any guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Glen

Attached Files:

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,618
    You're OK, it's only Dock, and it looks like it's gone to seed. I'd be inclined to get it out sooner rather than later

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Get those Docks out quick before they seed everywhere! They have a deep tap root that makes them difficult to remove.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Glen Williams

Glen Williams Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +0
        Thanks for that guys... any recommended course of action? or appropriate root killer?

• Scrungee

Ratings:
        +28,997
        Dig them out. If the seeds look 'ripe' (brown) snip the stems off first and dispose of them.

EDIT: If just relying on weedkillering them you risk the seeds continuing to ripen after application, and seeding another even bigger crop of Docks.

• Agree Agree x 3
        • Like Like x 1
        • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          If you pull it (Docks) out, with the root, that's it job done. However, with all that ready-to-drop seed dangling on it then its going to seed everywhere (you won't be able to remove them without dislodging some seed), and thus they will be back next year ... and the year after ...

As the old saying does "One year's seed = Seven years' weed" :sad:

Ignore the SPAM drivel about treatments for Japanese Knotweed - you don't have that, and the chemical they are trying to promote / sell to you is only available to trained professionals, so they are breaking the law pushing it here, and they' only copied it verbatim from their website - wasted their time registering as I expect the MODs will remove the post shortly and report them to their ISP etc ...

• Funny Funny x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            I'm on the side of Dock ... now, if you have a load of nettle, you might learn to "appreciate" having dock to hand (and, interestingly, from my - albeit limited - experience, nettle and dock tend to grow in similar habitats; so, check your nettle situation too!). Dock leaves rubbed on a nettle sting brings a great amount of relief ( ain't nature wonderful!? :heehee: Kill and cure in the same breath - who knew!? ;) ).

I have some of this growing in my garden (my copse end). But, I'm not really "dealing" with it this year because (selfishly :redface: ) I'm, hopefully, moving to pastures new and I only have so many hours in the day when working full time.

Contain the seed (as per Scrungee's post); then, treat the remaining stems with a weedkiller (crush the leaves, apply: pray!) Keep your eyes open, for the next couple of years, and pull/treat every sighting.

Sounds a bit "OCD" - but, to be fair to "the flowers we know as weeds", it's the only way to eradicate them (as best as we are able, that is!)

Best of British! :thumbsup:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,667
            I am doubtful that Roundup / Glyphosate will knock them off in a single application, they are well established and not actively growing any more ... so I think it would be a waste of time, seed would be shed, and grow :( and as you say digging (or pulling, if they will) them out would be a total solution :)

• Agree Agree x 1
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,497
              Agree with the others. Carefully remove all the seeding tops and then dig out (as much as you can) the roots. The depth of the roots will depend on how long they have been there and you may be lucky enough to get them all out.

Don't replant the area for a year but keep an eye on it for any regrowth. Dig/pull out any young ones that may grow from the seeds (easily done) and dig out any remaining roots that may have sprouted leaves. If they're too deep to dig then wait until spring when the new leaves are forming and weed kill (use a systemic). Repeat if necessary.

I think you should be able to get them all out the first time as they seem to be all in one area (I hope) and that makes it easier for some serious digging.

Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Scrungee

Ratings:
                +28,997
                For minimal ground disturbance my preferred tool for dock tap root removal is one of these used to chop out a narrow slot complete with root.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
                • Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +2,986
                  Well all I can say is good luck with digging them out completely. The one I have just had a go at was still going down over 2 feet and as we know any bit of root will regrow. I find Glyphosate works on them very successfully.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                  +12,667
                  I think it would work better on young / re-growth. So doing the best to remove them (even if that is just cutting / breaking the tops off, to try to catch as much seed as possible), and then waiting for the re-growth, and then spraying.

I'm just sceptical that it will provide a 100% kill on the mature plants (and the seed will still drop if only weedkiller is used??)

• Agree Agree x 2
                  • lost_in_france

lost_in_france Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +3,138
                    Looks like some of them are growing through slabs, so digging out may be impossible there. That's where I find most of mine to be honest - coming through gaps in paving slabs and edges of borders where they look like they're growing through the wall.