1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can strawberry plants be moved

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Paul Blackburn, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    I have just created a new strawberry patch and have planted some strawberry plants in it already.Would it be possible to take the strawberry plants from my previous patch and plant them in the new patch.The old patch was a wooden raised bed and the wood was starting to rot and so there were lots of ants in the summer and they more or less ate the lot obviously attracted by the sugar.They have not started flowering yet.

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Expect you can move your old ones to the new bed, but how old are they ?

Generally when you start off a new bed of fruit you choose a new site and new stock to avoid any diseases/viruses etc that the older plants / soil often get.

So its your choice /risk really ... what about putting some of your old plants into large pots/tubs instead and avoid any contamination .... ?

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I agree, I was wondering about taking Runners off the old plants (grown direct into pots rat than allowing them to root in the old bed), and using those in the new bed ... but that's going to take a season ...