can yellow turf regenerate?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by beginner gardener, Sep 19, 2010.

1. beginner gardener

beginner gardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!

I am new to the world of gardening and am a bit worried that I may have already made a monumental error! We laid turf over a large area of the garden yesterday and the good news is that the ground was carefully prepared but the bad news is the turf was awful!
    We bought turf from B&Q but the only stuff they had was half price as it was mostly yellow. The staff assured me that by laying it quickly and keeping it well watered and fed (I've read you shouldn't feed it until the roots are established?) it will be fine and will turn green. Does anyone have any advice about this please? Can yellow turf regenerate if it is well looked after? I hope so! :dh:

2. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Hello BG
    A couple of years ago I also bought some yellowing turf from B and Q , I needed to finish a small area of my garden off and was in a hurry. Unfortunately the turf never came good , in fact I replaced it this spring with good B n Q turf . With turf you have to keep dropping in to see if they have a new pallet of it , the remnants and the old stuff should be avoided. Maybe one of the lawn gurus on this forum may be able to give you some more positive advice.

3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    This is exactly the same advice I've given each time the question comes up.
    Generally, there's nothing wrong with B & Q products, other than in many instances their high prices and unknowledgable staff.
    I've used earlier this year, B & Q turf to replace a full one width run down the side border of the garden, later to close up an area in the centre and a roll and a half round that little Japanese acer in my avatar when I laid the circle of block pavers to close up that bed. You cannot now tell where it has been done. It was only around £2.50 a roll (less old codger's 10% discount on Wednesday). But on each occasion I found out previously, what day their next pallet was being delivered and I went in for it that afternoon. It can be stuck on a pallet outside their front door for a week and you have to add to that the time it took from cutting to delivery of the pallets, probabably at first to a central distribution warehouse, to await the next time they were going to make a store delivery. In my opinion yellowed turf is often "half dead" already and it's expecting a lot for it to recover. Even good turf can die if it isn't watered every day and sometimes more frequently in hot weather.

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,124
    :scratch: Hmmm.. Doesn't sound too good bg, but it is cool now & so it may take if you water daily...... No food though until rooted you are right....
    Such a shame if it doesn't take as you have worked so hard to prepared the ground so well.... :scratch: My experience with B&Q turf is if it a small area & their turf is green it is OK but for a larger area I have always bought from a local turf supplier & bought Rolawn Medallion from them & it is a superb turf... I have my fingers crossed for you bg... :thumb:

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,653
    You have nothing to lose by leaving it, there is a small chance it may recover - keep it well watered and don't feed until the spring. Good luck!

6. beginner gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much for all your replies, I'm crossing my fingers - at least it's cool and raining!!

7. Colin J

Colin J Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I would re seed yellowing turf and I think that you have learned your lesson as B&Q staff are not very knowledgeable. I always buy turf from well known local turf suppliers.

Garden centres and DIY stores are ok if you want a few screws or wood but I would not buy gardening products

8. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    The problem can be that some of the turf hasn't knitted to the soil beneath, this happens sometimes in a few places on a re-turfed lawn with the result that the grass goes yellow.

9. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    None of the roots will be down if it was only laid yesterday!

Keep it watered BG although depending on your location nature may be doing the majority of the work for you now. It's a great time now to lay turf and as long as the turf hasn't gone too far in the decomposition stage it should recover well.

Can you get in touch with B&Q and find out which turf supplier this delivery was from? Sheds like B&Q and Focus occasionally use high quality turf suppliers (although they won't advertise it), if this batch is from one of these suppliers you may well be in the clear. I drive past the focus local to us fairly regularly and the turf they sell can only be described as meadow grass with a vague hint of life :dh:

10. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411

Err..

Mine was a general observation.
    If it were directed at the OP I'd have quoted his post.

Yellow turf can be caused by a variety of reasons and will be of interest to other people, not all of them only having laid turf yesterday.

11. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    Blimey sorry, my apologies. I'll turn my sense of humour off for you.

12. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Wouldn't you have needed to have turned it on first?

By the way I can't be assed to use smilies, I let people draw their own conclusions as far as my posts go.

13. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    1. Life's too short, it's been on since birth

2. Funky.

:luv:

14. beginner gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again

I just wanted to report back that I now have a fantasic green lawn!! I watered it a lot and have been really lucky with the weather but it looks like cheap yellow B&Q turf really can regenerate hurray!:gnthb:

15. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,653