1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you freeze parsley?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Rosiemongrel, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Rosiemongrel

Rosiemongrel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a bit of a parsley overload at the moment. Can someone tell me how to freeze it so it retains its colour and flavour? It would be useful to have in the winter, and it would create some space in the herb corner.

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi, fill an ice cube tray with water and put some in each cube-it helps you when you want to use it
    . Have tried it when making cocktails -mint juleps and mohitos so would imagine it works with cooking aswell.

Also another one is using frozen raspberries in a baileys at Christmas. Not that Im a lush or 'owt.

I think, like veg that you should blanch it in boiling water for a second or two to keep its colour

3. Rosiemongrel

Rosiemongrel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Claire, I'll try that! :)

4. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    You don't need to blanch parsley when using the ice cube method. Also works well for chopped up chives, sage, basil etc. Once they have frozen bag or tub them up and do some more. :thumb:

5. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    i find if i freeze parsley to add when cooking freeze it whole, then squash it in the bag and it comes out ready chopped ,theres no need to blanch it ,it will go soggy
    [​IMG]

6. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35

I've done this lots of times and it works a treat, plus it saves a lot of fiddley work. :thumb: