1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you ID this yellow annual

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by fiwi, Sep 10, 2005.

1. fiwi

fiwi Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I bought this in a local fete and all they could tell me was that it was an annual. It's done really well all summer, and still looks great (the picture was taken yesterday)and I would love to have it in the garden again next year. Any idea what it's called? If it's really an annual? How I can propagate it?
    Thanks for your help.
    Fiwi
    [​IMG]

2. brazil

brazil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hello fiwi it is called Bidens you buy it as a summer basket plant you can overwinter it and take cuttings in spring it is lovely and flowers all summer :D :D

3. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Fiwi
    its actually Sanvitalia procumbens (looks similar to Bidens, but Bidens has fewer petals & usually finer foliage, though some cultivars do have larger leaves - sorry Brazil!). It is an annual & can be grown as ground cover or more usually seen in hanging baskets, very easy & likes it dry.
    Seeds available here (though can be bought as small plants in spring)
    http://www.edirectory.co.uk/chilternseeds/pages/moreinfo.asp?pe=DBFBEABBQ_+sanvitalia+procumbens+orange+sprite&cid=211
    A pic here of Bidens for comparison (+seeds - also an easygoing plant)
    http://wholesale.thompson-morgan.com/eu/en/product/2599/1
    I am a bit of a plant anorak, but I hope this helps! ;)

4. fiwi

fiwi Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both.
    I will put it on my shopping list for next year. Fiwi

5. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Me too! It's extremely yummy!