1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you plant things under a leylandii hedge?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Fyfy K, May 1, 2015.

1. Fyfy K

Fyfy K Gardener

Ratings:
    +51
    I've been Googling this question, and a whole range of plants are suggested, though a good number of options are also no not at all! My mum said that Leylandiis "drip acid on the soil", which sounds like an old wives' tale to me, particularly as there are a good number of weeds under there that seem to be doing ok. So I was wondering if anyone out there is succeeding to grow anything nice under their hedge monster?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

• Like Like x 1
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Hello Fyfy! You'll be doing well to get much to grow near a monster hedge of any description far less the dreaded Leylandii. I am not sure but think your Mum is referring to Yew more than Leylandii. In another garden I had massive Yew trees, the soil around them wouldn't even support weeds being so acidic.
      The only thing I can get to grow even vaguely well close to Leylandii are Snowdrops and Aconites. I have a Leyandii Tree(I did NOT plant it) nothing else much will grow within about 4 ft of the canopy.
      mums aconite ans snowdrops 005.JPG

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,338
      You could try autumn flowering crocuses. I have a number of Leylandi trees growing fairly close together and under them I grow or have growing snowdrops, Iris foetidissima, Arum maculatum and some woodland geraniums. None grow particularly close to the trunk.
      You could try Arum marmoratum, Helleborus argutifolius and relatives.
      You may get some ideas from http://plantsforshade.co.uk/acatalog/Plants_for_Dry_Shade.html
      You might have to try a few and see what survives.

• mr c

mr c Gardener

joiner
      Ratings:
      +232
      Would this sort of thing grow anywhere,don't know what it is thou,must get dry as bet its been there a couple of years,that would be lime based mortar
      [​IMG]

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,497
      Yes, you can grow things under Leylandii. :blue thumb: A lot of plants won't be happy as the soil will be dry and depleted of nutrients.

Ivy would love it but I wouldn't recommend it.

Periwinkle does well under it but needs some light from one side, which is what it should be getting if it's a hedge.

I don't know where you would normally buy periwinkle but if you're coming to our charity Open Day I could put some aside for you. We're not all that far from you and you can come and meet a load of GC members :dbgrtmb:

Here's a link to the invite:-

http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/special-invite-to-forum-members-2015.92669/