1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you use a regular battery charger on a gel car battery?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by HarryS, Jan 12, 2019.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    I was thinking of replacing my now dead 40 year old battery charger. Now most car batteries do not require topping up with distilled water. They are of the AGM gel type.
    Is it better to buy the small trickle ( 4 amp ) charger , as below , rather than the larger 12 amp chargers .
    It would only be used if we ever need to put a bit of charge in a flat battery . A very rare occurrence these days ( touch wood ! )

index.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,201
      Hi,

You want to get yourself a copy of the current January edition of the Car Mechanics magazine, its in most main supermarkets and WHS etc.

Its got a full multipage article on all types of batteries and chargers.

Think as you will see, with the modern chargers they take care of everything for you and can even be hard wired to the car battery.

What I always carry in the boot and has saved me and other folk is one of the Jump Starters, mines like the one below, though you can get smaller more modern ones.

001286.jpg

001287.jpg

• Like Like x 2
        Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +49,473
        I would highly recommend the CTEK range of chargers - they are smart chargers and battery re conditioners all in one. I have one with a convenience lead permanently connected to the battery, so all I have to do is plug in whenever I want.

Now, here is a thing - I actually have a Ring smart charger that I bought for the Nissan, which is just over 18 months old, used twice, but is simply not big enough for my current car; depending on the load you are putting on it, it may well be perfectly suitable for you - that being the case, it is yours if you want it, free.

It is suitable for batteries up to around 90CCA (and would most likely do more, but I don't think it a good idea to stress it), so that would be engines up to around 2500cc/3000cc (or thereabouts)

I would need to find it as it has been put in a cupboard somewhere, but that shouldn't take long. Let me know, and if you want it, I will pop it in the post.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +49,473
        This is it (or maybe the model before it, but it looks the same) - RSC404

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,629
        Amazing, I thought battery charging was a thing of the past.
        Remember my old Dad charging up his battery in the 60s hoping it would start the car the next morning.
        Cant say as I've ever needed a charger myself, why do you need one these days.:scratch::smile:

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,089
        Charging my ride on mower battery whilst its in the garage over winter keeps it in good nick. Didnt do it one year with a newish battery and it was dead by springtime .

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +49,473
          Cars of the past would simply apply a charge current to the battery the whole time that the car was running - if the battery was full, it was full and it made no difference.

Modern cars have charge control circuitry, especially so those that have stop/start systems fitted; these monitor the charge state of the battery all the time (senses variations in the output voltage from the battery and/or current draw when charging), but like everything computer controlled there is a set 'minimum' threshold for the charge state. On my old Nissan, I believe that was 67%, so when the car was started it would charge at full rate until the battery reached 68% and then it would drop the charge rate to a lower level, almost a trickle charge if you like - this, allegedly, saves fuel (probably about a teaspoon every five years or so!), and thus went some way to appeasing certain groups.

The trouble thereafter is twofold - firstly, car batteries of any variety do not like to be in a charge state of anything less than about 98% as it shortens the life of the battery; secondly, modern cars are so heavily reliant on electronics that they will do some really odd things if there is a voltage discrepancy, even a tiny one. Now, this does not bother the car industry in the least, as it means they get to sell you a new battery every two or three years instead of the five that they used to last - plus they get the possible benefit of diagnosing your electrical woes, and telling you that you have had a faulty relay, or a dodgy earth point before they reach the diagnosis that you need a new battery.

For the relatively small amount of money involved, popping your car onto a smart charger (and the beauty of them is that the charging can most often be done with the battery in situ) once in a while helps keep that battery happy, extends its life, makes starting the car that wee bit easier and at this time of the year it also dramatically reduces the chances that you will get to your car in a cold dark car park and find it not wanting to start.

• Informative Informative x 2
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,629
            Sounds slightly like we have gone backwards:scratch::biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Fat Controller

Public Transport
              Ratings:
              +49,473
              To some degree, I think you are right - it's one of things where something is done for the right reasons, then having unintended consequences

• Informative Informative x 1
              • HarryS

Retired
                Ratings:
                +16,246
                Thanks for the kind offer FC , its OK I have some Amazon vouchers , so thought I would replace my 45 year old charger ! It's a handy tool to have . If you do get a flat battery due to an inside light being left on etc etc etc . Our cars are on a long drive , front end in first . So it is hard work getting jump leads to them . A little 4 amp trickle charger would be ideal. Hopefully we will never need it.
                Interesting info on car battery charge systems :blue thumb: I still find that the battery will last 7 yearsish on a car. I was hoping that the two year life of batteries and exhausts were long gone.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
                Ratings:
                +49,473
                You're welcome @HarryS - maybe just as well, as I don't know where it is at the moment.

I would suggest taking a look at the CTEK MXS5.0 - should pretty much cover what you need, and more; build quality is excellent, as is their ease of extendability

• HarryS

Retired
                Ratings:
                +16,246
                I ordered the Suaoki charger , as they put a flash sale on it yesterday reducing by £11 to £23 .Placed the order at 6pm and it was delivered to a locker at 10am ! It's a lovely little unit , well built , and does a 100 things you will never need. Lets hope I never have to use it !
                71X6sTPdbWL._SL1024_.jpg

• Like Like x 2
                • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                  Ratings:
                  +49,473
                  Champion - looks like a cracker of a deal!

• Jimcub

Jimcub Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +614
                  I have a genius gb40 which is a solid state battery pack, supposed to start cars up to 6 ltr petrol and 3 ltr diesel, has a led light and a usb socket.
                  Not used it yet but supposed to start up to 20 times on a single charge, fed up having to charge my battery so often. I seldom use the car now so can be sat for a couple of weeks, it’s always when it’s needed it fails to start.

• Like Like x 1