Canna 2012

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HarryS, Jan 29, 2012.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    As the other Canna post is getting huge , I thought it would be better to start a new one for this year, to glean peoples know-how, experience and hopefully good results.
    I am growing C.Tropical from rhizomes and C. Marabout , C.Altensteinii ( kindly donated from Bilbos last crop :dbgrtmb: ) from seed.
    I have just sown the seeds this weekend. The pics below show a method of clipping the seed coating to aid germination. I got this on GC last year from Pete and Kristen , I think. Hold the seed on a pillar of bluetack and grip lightly with a pair of old pliers ( the rust is optional ! How embarrassing ) Use a round file to chip the seeds as shown , they are very hard so it does take a few strokes . I soak them overnight in tepid water , then sow them in Multi Purpose compost and pop onto the prop. They germinated in 5 days last year but 8 to 12 days is the stated time.:thumbsup:
    The problem with cannas is finding space for them as they grow, without upsetting Mrs H , before they can be planted out :scratch:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +45,635
    • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,013
      I am only growing Canna tuerckheimii from seed this year, just in case my rhizomes from last year don't make it overwinter. I clipped, then soaked them for two days a week ago. And three days after that the first one germinated - 5 days from the start.

Looking back at my records it was 8 days for tuerkheimii last year and 9 days for 'Tropical Rose'. I had forgotten how quick they were.

• HarryS

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      Just one other point on chipping the seeds , some sites say use nail clippers or a craft knife! :nono::nono: I think this would be lethal for your fingers, the seeds are very very hard !
      Peter, John when do you plan to start your Canna rhizomes :scratch: Mine are currently stored in a cold dark garage in moist compost.

• PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,013
      Pete is the man for Canna rhizomes. I am not - my rhizomes from the previous year rotted over winter. Last autumn, I cut my tuerckheimii, in a pot, back almost to the ground. I think this was a mistake - Pete suggested that I should have left some greenery on to help draw the moisture up out of the compost. I had another Canna (from Pete), which I cut back later and left some green on that. Its now looking quite healthy with some green leaves, even though its in a frost free shed with little light.

After Pete's comments, I repotted my tuerckheimii in drier compost which hopefully has saved it. But I recently bought it inside the house under a fluorescent light to help it keep rot at bay.

I don't know how you start them off. Presumably they need heat to jump start them into growth - but how much?

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,360
      I've ordered some Canna speciosa seed this year, its not arrived as yet.

As to the stored rhizomes, mine will remain in the garage for the next month to six weeks.
      Mainly because they are likely to start growing and get big before I can plant them out.

I usually do the division in spring at potting up time, so I like things to have warmed up a bit before dividing and potting up, so growth can start immediately.
      I find normal greenhouse temps in early April will get them moving, but have been known to give them some bottom heat if I'm in a hurry.:)

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,834
      I took Pete's advice about leaving the rhizomes in the pots and, fingers crossed, so far so good. I've got some in the kitchen and some in a cool room along with some other plants in pots.

Cool Room:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kitchen area:

[​IMG]

The only problem I've had so far was in the Cool Room where there was a sudden plague of Greenfly last week, presumably from some unseen eggs, which I caught and got rid of.
      While not having the compost damp, I have been trying to judge with my fingers when it was, in my estimation, too dry and then I would water with a jug of tepid to warm water, which seems to have worked. The ones in black pots in the kitchen area will be transferred to bigger pots in the Spring.

I've got some Canna seeds in the fridge at the moment just waiting to be sown. It'll be interesting to see how we all get on.:thumbsup::D

• Like Like x 5
      • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
        Ratings:
        +6,654
        Hi all, can't wait for the 2012 Canna 'journey' to begin, I've got 6 varieties to sow from seed (or 5 if some of last years Altensteinnii rhizomes have survived); which I'll be doing in the next couple of weeks - hopefully :D

I have a shed full (at least 20) of Altensteinnii rhizomes from last year; surely this time I'll have got at least a couple of decent ones through the winter, especially given that it hasn't been anywhere near as cold as the last two. The last time I checked them, some had completely browned off and there was a little mould but nothing major(no signs of rot that I could see), so I simply cut that off and discarded it. A couple still had a bit of green growth on too, so they maybe my best bet of healthy rhizomes :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,834
          Got my fingers crossed for you, Bilbo!:thumbsup::D

• HarryS

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          Photo below of C.Marabout after 1 week on the propagater and 1 week in the light box. They are doing well 100% germination after a 24 hour pre soak in weak cold tea.:dbgrtmb:
          The C.Altensteinii are struggling a bit Bilbo . One out of the four germinated after 9 days . The other 3 , I have just removed from the compost after 14 days. There was no sign of germination , so I have popped them into another solution to soak for 3 days in the airing cupboard. Then I can try again . Fingers crossed. Let me know how you get on with yours.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
          • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
            Ratings:
            +6,654
            Looking good there Harry; I'll be getting mine in this week...been doing a LOT of painting after our house was re-wired.....:(

I've always had nearly 100% germination with Altensteinii but if memory serves me correctly they have on occasions been erratic; if I've sown 4 or 5 seeds to a pot I have been pricking some out that have been 2-3" when other seed might have just started germinating....so still time yet :dbgrtmb:

• sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,998
            Hi all...Just come back from Thailand and seen some really strange canna over there , absolutly not noticeable because of the other impressive flowers...I`ve collected lots of yellow flower canna seeds , the flower is massive and seen them growing even in water....
            [​IMG]
            there is a red variety absolutly stunning but couldn`t find any seeds , green leaves , true red flower and reddish stem .
            while I was going around I`ve notice this other canna ....incredible as well
            [​IMG]
            called torch canna........at first impact I tough it was a ginger , but i was a canna.
            Finally when I tough that canna wouldn`t get my attention anymore this one come along.[​IMG]

called the rainbow canna comes in orange , yellow and red ......seen growing the in water again and in wild areas near ponds .
            Got some spare yellow thai canna seeds if anyone interested .

• Like Like x 8
            • HarryS

Retired
              Ratings:
              +16,246
              Thanks Sal for the pics :dbgrtmb: The red flowered one is stunning , but the camouflage leaf pattern on the Rainbow Canna is the one for me. Would this type grow in the UK ? I can't take you up on your kind offer of seeds as I am already struggling for growing space. I think Bilbo and Armandii have plenty of space left though :heehee:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +84,360
              Nice ones Sal, that red is good and like Harry I like the Rainbow one.

I'm tending to think they flower better out there than here, but should still be worthwhile growing.:dbgrtmb:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,834
              Yes, really nice pics. The top one looks similar to the variety Yellow King Humbert, with the blotched markings.

I've still got my Canna seeds in the fridge but will be starting to chip, soak and sow them from tomorrow. I've got enough projects on this year to keep me more than busy, believe me.!!