1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't even mention felines now!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Dave W, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Seems we can't even mention felines now unless you just love them.
    There was a thread about about "safe ways to deter cats", but even it's been closed.
    I sent a pm to a moderator regarding ultra-sonic deterents but didn't even receive an acknowledgement. Rather a shame as what I'd found might have saved anyone looking for an ultra-sonic device a few bob.
    This post will probably be deleted when mods read it; but don't lash out cash on the "RSPB Approved" moggie thingy as mentioned in "safe ways to deter cats" as it's the only one they tested. There are others just the same or better and much cheaper.
    Got one and it works!

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Hi Dave, I don't know who you pm'd but it wasn't me otherwise you would have had a reply.:dunno: :snork:
      Let's make it clear, yet again, as to why any threads regarding the the deterrents for keeping cats out of gardens has been restricted to a Sticky Thread [which is closed] and which basically is recommended methods of deterring cats. History and experience has shown that once such a thread gets momentum it starts off amicably and with people recommending methods which, to them, are humane. Unfortunately, what happens then is that some people with a dislike and grudge against cats and the like take it further venting their spleen and hate of cats by proposing less humane methods. That then escalates with Cat Lovers coming back and protesting vehemently about the anti-cat posts and before you know it, but predictably, the claws are out and the fur is flying.
      It is one of those subjects is cannot fail to be emotive and cause problems and because of the repeated problems, and to keep the peace, it was decided by Admin to collect recommended methods of deterring cats and put them into a closed Sticky thread to prevent further cat fights. There are other subjects that are just as, if not even more so, emotive and to be fair to all and keep reasonable peace, humour and bon homie at a GC high we also have to take action on them.
      I am not going to delete this Thread but I am going to refer it to Admin for discussion and further reflection.:snork:

• Like Like x 1
      • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,035
        It wasn't you Armandii.
        What annoyed me, and it still does, was that I sent a constructive and informative pm to a mod regarding the "safe way to deter cats" thread and didn't even get the courtesy of a reply or even acknowledgment.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,836
        Hi Dave, well, I apologise for the lack of a reply to your pm, but it may have been that that particular Mod has been absent due to family pressures. Would you mind pm'ing me with the name of the Mod so that we can find out why and perhaps give you a reason.
        As I said the matter of Cat threads has now been referred for further reflection and discussion about how we deal with such threads. It is a difficult subject for the reasons stated earlier but if you could leave the matter with us for the time being I would be grateful.:snork:

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,117
        It's the same on other forums sadly.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
          Ratings:
          +12,508
          Who was it Dave, who was it?:heehee: :sofa:

• Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,035
          It doesn't really matter and was probably an oversight. The Mods have a lot on their plates keeping the forums/threads running smoothly and may as Armandii says have difficulties in their personal lives to manage too.
          I got a bit miffed as I'd made what I thought were potentially useful observations and they were, it seemed, ignored. I don't wish to pursue it any further and risk upsetting anyone.

• Like Like x 3
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836
            Hi Dave, there has been a discussion on the matter and it appears that we will go ahead with a trial period of unlocking the Cat Thread and merging any other future threads relating to HUMANE methods to deter cats from gardens. So I guess the future of the thread is now up to people not getting catty, not showing their claws or
            misusing the litter box.:cat-kittyandsmiley: :snork:

• Like Like x 7
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,458
              May I suggest that the Mods keep a close eye on the thread and immediately remove any offensive post - and give the poster a friendly warning.

Some members may say that it should be stronger than a friendly warning but I understand when people have been continuously wound up by the misdemeanours of our feline friends.

Signed, a cat lover. :cat-kittyandsmiley:

• Like Like x 2
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                It will be one the the main things that Admin will do while letting the Cat Thread take a walk. It's going to be emotive but if people will show restraint in how they word and propose methods that will more than help this effort to continue the thread.:snork:

• Like Like x 1
                • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  I did say a few weeks back that it was only bad posts about cats that weren't allowed.

We have had threads that have run smoothly whilst we were keeping an eye on them.

I would ask the members to also keep an eye on cat discussions & don't be afraid to push the report button if they think anything is out of hand.

We can't be everywhere & we'd rather have a report to deal with than a runaway train.:)

• Agree Agree x 3
                  • Like Like x 2
                  • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                    +100,836
                    And so say we all!!:thumbsup: :snork:

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
                      Ratings:
                      +14,125
                      New thread started now & stickied with the deterrent ideas thread..

Thanks

Marley.. :SUNsmile: