Cape gooseberry - too bushy for a greenhouse?

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Kathy535, May 11, 2008.

1. Kathy535

Kathy535 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I put out my seeedlings into the greenhouse last week. It's a 8' x 6' greenhouse, I've got 4 Cape Gooseberry plants, but I've read they can be very bushy and take up loads of space - is this right? If so, could I grow them in my south facing conservatory or would it not work? I'm already running out of room in the greenhouse!

Thank you

Kathy

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    They are VERY bush Kathy, I grew two in our 15x8 polytunnel two years ago and they took up far too much space. I didn't reckon they were worth it as I could have grown more productive plants in the space.
    Might be worth a try in pots in your conservatory - you'll at least be able to move them outside if they get too big!

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,360
    I grow them out side here, grown like half hardy annuals.
    You dont get ripe fruit till late, but they are very large if grown in a greenhouse.

4. Kathy535

Kathy535 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, will put two in garden and two in conservatory and see how they do!

5. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Are Cape Gooseberries slow growers? I've got four little plants, about 3" high, they've been that size for weeks, also two chillie seedlings that I potted up over a month ago, they look healthy enough but just don't grow any bigger! Can any one tell me how to get them to grow a weenie bit? :)

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,360
    They can be a bit slow early on if grown from seed in the current year.
    I tend to overwinter a plant, in the greenhouse.
    I get a lot of self sown ones every year, so I pot one up in july for the next year.

They like sunshine, so if its a bit shady where your growing them, you could try moving them somewhere brighter, other than that, some times if a small plant has been in its pot a long time without much happening, the compost can get stale.
    Try repotting, but not to a larger pot, one the same size, but try to replace some of the compost, without causing too much root damage.

• Informative Informative x 1