1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

cape primrose

Discussion in 'Roses' started by avalann, Nov 7, 2005.

1. avalann

avalann Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a cape primrose for about 18 months. It flowered profusely all thru summer (in fact is still producing flowers!) but new leaves are coming up on the stems of the very large older leaves. Is this OK? Do I cut the older leaves off?

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Hi avalann, I love houseplants too, but struggle at the moment as i have a tiny cottage facing North, and at the back ground rises steeply so not much light there either. Garden is great though!
    My dad used to grow streptocarpus, lovely plants- he kept them in the greenhouse and brought them in for show. I haven't grown them myself, but in general I never cut anything off unless it is dead! I found this site, may be of help [and if you wanted more]:-
    http://www.dibleys.com/care.htm
    Have you grown Begonia rex- I love them but not much success.

3. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Hi, Avalan. Welcome to GC. Hope you enjoy the interaction!

As for cutting things off, I chomp away in ignorance and most of the time seem to get away with it. Last year my Sperengeri got a bad case of white fly so I heaved it outside (it's kinda big!) and gave it a No 1 haircut! It's grown back in fine form and looks about the same as it did before!

(Not that I am suggesting you do the same to your plant!!!!)

4. avalann

avalann Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    many thanks for supportive replies! Will follow the wait, watch and deal with policy!