1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Car bother

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clueless1, Jan 6, 2016.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    Anyone know what might cause a diesel engine to exhibit intermittent misfire?

@fat controller , @longk perhaps?

If it had been petrol, I'd say it was ignition related because it's either fine or bad, no in between, no smoke, loss of performance, worsening fuel economy, nothing like that. Runs fine, then intermittently hesitates now and again.

2. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Where do you want to start?

What car is it?

3. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,595
    Mitsubishi carisma. 1.9 DID, which must differ ever so slightly from the related 1.9TD because that variant also exists, though I don't know what the difference is because mine also is diesel and has a turbo.

I'm told its the exact same engine as they put in the Volvo S40 and V40 diesels of the same era (2003) In fact they shared the factory in Holland.

4. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Is it misfiring, or is it loss of power, Clueless??

5. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,509
    So many different things it could be - injector failing, injector seals failed, injector wiring loom.... and the list goes on. A good diesel whisperer would be your best bet to diagnose - you could cost yourself a packet throwing parts at it until you find what is wrong.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • clueless1

Ratings:
      +19,595
      Mostly misfire, although there seems to be little consistency as to when you feel the turbo waking up. At about half throttle, the car normally really wakes up around 2500 rpm, then you can feeling significant boost. Sometimes though, not always, it doesn't wake up until over 3000 rpm.

There's no sinister noise or smoke that would implicate a (second) turbo failure. In fact the misfire is usually at the lower end of the revs where the turbo does very little.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Then you might find, as I did, that it is the Particulate Diesel Filter that is causing the problem due to "older" diesels and the introduction of bio fuels into diesel. I started doing shorter journeys and engine running time and found that I pressed the accelerator only for it to falter and stay on low revs for a few seconds and then power up. The common answer is to either clean the filter or take the car for a good run to allow the filter to burn off the carbon.

• Like Like x 1
      • clueless1

Ratings:
        +19,595
        Would my car have a diesel particulate filter? It's quite old, 53 plate.

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
        Ratings:
        +7,283
        Usually and injector failure causes white smoke out of the back, though I am talking ten years back

Jack McH

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,089
        As FC says you will need it plugged in before you even start. There are a few basic checks you could do first though;
        • check all vacuum pipes for deterioration. These (if fitted) will control EGR and turbo boost function.
        • Replace the fuel and air filters.
        • Check for perished fuel pipes that may allow air ingress.
        • Check any earth points in the engine bay for good continuity.
        • Check for leakage on the turbo boost pipes.
        It could be a simple fix but it may also be a real barsteward to track down.
        If you are going to keep this car (personally I wouldn't) then it may be worth investing in one of these at this price.................

Leak off test kit

Pretty good for checking injectors. Check if it is compatible first though.

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,089
        Blocked egr,
        failing injector,
        blocked fuel filter,
        dodgy maf ?
        Get a code reader off ebay for a few quid and get the code read or take it to a garage where they will charge you 50 quid for the same thing.
        Id buy the code reader,replace fuel filter and some injector cleaner (forte) and take it from there.

• clueless1

Ratings:
        +19,595
        Thanks all. I think it's just snot build-up. I normally drive in the highest gear she'll comfortably pull in. I've read that's not good formodern diesels, so today I drove to work in lower gears . Same home again. It's too early to tell, but when I finally got to the one good road in my journey, I gave her some welly and she didn't half pull nicely.

• Like Like x 1
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Most definitely, Clueless:coffee:

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +23,089
            I'm pretty sure that the Carisma was never fitted with one. I may be wrong.

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
            At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
            Ratings:
            +49,509
            Nah, too old for a DPF - the DI-D is a Renault F9Q series lump, so essentially the same as was found in Lagunas etc (if my memory is correct);

From your description, a couple of things are screaming at me - firstly, a good Italian tune-up msy well help a bit - BUT, don't even think about doing so if the oil is old/nearing replacement time, and the engine needs to be up to full operating temperature before you go kicking its backside down the road.

@longk's comments about air and vacuum leaks also sound pretty near the mark to me - that would explain why the turbo is a bit reluctant to spool up at times. The other thing to check, and you will need an assistant for this, is that none of the air/vacuum pipes are collapsing under load. It was mostly VAG motors that suffered this, but it is not beyond the realms that your lump could have a similar problem. Essentially, at idle there is no indication of a problem - however, when the engine is under load, the pressure causes the pipe to collapse inward (bit like a hose kinking) and stops the airflow - hence you get lack of grunt, misfire and flat spots.

The pain in the rear with this sort of fault is finding which of the pipes is causing the problem, as it may not exhibit the problem every time even under load.

One other easy thing that you might want to try in conjunction with the Italian tune-up is to get a bottle of Millers Diesel Eco-Max and stick a couple of doses of that into a tankful of diesel; it is primarily a fuel injector cleaner, but it also boosts the cetane rating of the fuel - my Passat would misfire and run like a complete dog at times, yet using the Millers stopped its nonsense completely, to the point that I could always notice when I had forgotten to add it in on a fill up.