1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Carboot Sale Bargains

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Bilbo675, May 2, 2011.

1. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    Well after my recent bargains that I have found at supermarkets (which I posted about), my wife and I did the rounds, visiting numerous local carboot sales over the bank holiday weekend. There were lots of plant sellers, some professional (also expensive) and some amateur home growers which were excellent value and just as healthy.

I picked up a lovely established hosta in a 3lt pot (not sure what variety ' green & white) for £2 and a young white semi double camellia thats well branched and about 18" tall for £1.50. I also missed out on a big clump of solomon's seal in a 5lt pot for £2, someone beat me to it.....ah well you can't win them all.

There were hundreds of veg plants about at very cheap prices, but I didn't need any having grown my own.

2. PinkFinger

PinkFinger Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Well done you :)
    It's a great idea to get plants from Boot Fairs. Another place you can buy cheap plants is Charity shops. I have seen some selling mainly fruits/vegs plants for 65p :)

3. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Not only plants, but equipment. Bought these 2 max min thermometers for £1 each today:

[​IMG]

4. waiting for the weather

waiting for the weather Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Never would have thought of picking plants up at carboots... thanks for the tip! Will keep an eye out for some Hertford-way :)

5. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    My best buy was from a car-boot held in our village, where I got a 40" tall wrought iron plant pot stand for the princely sum of £8. Sadly, the man I bought it from only had one but, not far away was a forge which made gates, garden seats etc., so I took a photo along to see if they could make me another. The man said 'No problem' since he remembered making one just like it not long before. 'How much? £149.99' Needless to say, I still only have the one!