1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Care of acers

Discussion in 'Trees' started by nikirushka, Sep 30, 2014.

1. nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
    +93
    I have just acquired an acer! However, I do not have a good history with them (have killed 3 years ago) so I want to get this one right.

Pic below, it's currently in a 15" ceramic pot where it's been since at least April. Looks fairly healthy, a wee bit brown at the edges but I assume that will be either due to autumn or being dried out (it was my neighbour's, they moved a couple of weeks ago and left it behind and the council have just let me have it). I've given it a good drink.

Otherwise it looks very healthy and I'd like it to stay that way! So, best practice for acers?

I would like to maybe plant it out next year - I have a big garden with sandy, well drained soil. In terms of sunlight I can take my pic - full sun, part, full shade, I should be able to find a spot wherever would be best for it. It's been in full sun all the time the neighbours had it. I can also pick sheltered or open if need be - I do get a nasty crosswind when it really picks up but location of my garage means I can keep it out of that easily, even full grown.

For now it's on my front doorstep, but should I be doing anything special for winter? I can take it into my little yard out back, it'll be well sheltered there from the wind.

Thanks in advance :)

[​IMG]

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,311
    Hello nikirushka:) It's a lovely plant! The critical time for acers is in Spring when the new leaves are emerging...that's when they need shade from sun and shelter from cold winds and frost. If you've got a choice of spots to plant it then partial shade and lots of shelter, some acidic soil-improver if possible and plenty of water through it's first year in the ground should be ideal.

• Informative Informative x 1