1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

carnationspinks

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by fothers, Feb 26, 2005.

1. fothers

fothers Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of getting some carnation plants and was wondering if its to cold too plant them out now or if they are ok with cold weather?
    I was thinking of the Doris variety.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,610
    If you buy carnation plants from your garden centre which are growing in pots outside, then I cant see any reason why, if the ground isn't frozen, you can't plant them now. But if you are buying cuttings which have only recently been rooted, then it would probably be better to pot them on, under frost free conditions until maybe late April or May.
    According to the RHS Plants & flowers book Doris types are classified as pinks. A cross between old fashioned pinks & perpetual flowering carnations.

3. fothers

fothers Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Pete I may go out to thw garden centre this afternoon and see what they have got!

4. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    fothers ...just buy a bunch of carnations from Florist ...and root some of the stems,almost anytime of year, just keep them warm ...and hey presto ...you got lots rooted cuttings in a few weeks time.

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,610
    Ladybird
    Dont you find florist's carnations grow a bit tall for outside use?

6. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Pete no ...not if you stake them, the Chabaud giants,But not plant till the frost is over, or better plant in pots to overwinter indoors. I was thinking more on the Spray type Carnations,multiflower heads.Doris is my favourite and have a big patch, now being pecked by the Bantams lol.

7. scenicplot

scenicplot Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    fothers when you plant pinks or carnations don't for get to dig in some horticulural sand below the roots toaid drainage and fork some potash in about late May or earlt June to get more flowers.
    Hope you get a blooming good summer

8. foxtrot

foxtrot Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know how & when to take cuttings of Doris? I also have a large patch of Mrs Simkins (Sinkins?), which are white and beautifully scented, but don't know how to divide them. Any ideas?

9. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Foxtrot you can take cuttings from now on on any carnations and pinks, a bit of rooting powder and bottomn heat will help. Best about 2-3" no longer, cut just below a notch. A bit shorter on pinks.