1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Carnivorous house plants

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by clueless1, Aug 22, 2011.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Evening all.

I seemed to be engaged in war at home, against mosquitos believe it or not. Its driving me insane. Every evening, I have to battle at least half a dozen of the things. Not exactly a swarm, but enough to really annoy me. Its worse because they always seem to aim for my ears, so I'll be sat at my computer in the living room, or I'll be in the tub, or in bed, when suddenly there'll be a buzz right in my ear'ole. I find myself scanning the walls and ceilings, and have become finely tuned in the art of spotting them, chasing them down, and splatting them, but they just keep coming.

We regularly get frogs in the back garden, which suggests someone has a pond nearby, which may be the source, but there's nothing I can do about that.

I was thinking of getting some carnivorous plants to live in strategic positions by the windows, but as mozzies are disgusting little blood suckers, would they be attracted to the plants? Are there any that are particularly effective against mozzies?

I think we can rule out the Venus Fly Trap, as fascinating as they are they just don't work hard enough. With about 6 mouths per plant, and a mouth out of action for several days as soon as it catches anything, I can't see that they'd be effective.

Sundews are a possible candidate, but their bate is a sticky sugary substance that they secrete. I'm not sure a blood sucking skeeto would be tempted by that.

Then there's pitcher plants. I know least of all about them. I don't know what their special power is, or what sort of prey they attract, or how many they can finish off per day or anything.

Any ideas?

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,494
    I'm sorry I can't help you with info on carnivorous plants. :(

It seems to me that you need to keep your windows and doors shut, particularly in the mornings and evenings. This may reduce the numbers getting in.

I've found it quite satisfying using a rolled up newspaper on them when they land on a surface but they don't always oblige. I also have one of the electric fly swatters which not only works fairly well but helps get some of your aggression out. If you get one you will have to keep it out of reach of your youngster.

Electronic Fly Swatter : Flying Insect Killers : Maplin

• Like Like x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      I'd never heard of such electronic fly swatters before. I might get myself one:dbgrtmb:

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,494
      I've found that it's not powerful enough to kill flies when you catch them on it but it sometimes stuns them enough for them to drop to the floor and you can grab them if you are quick. It is more successful with mossies and completely frazzles aphids and vinegar flies.

• miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,389
      My suggestion, as an absolute mosquitoes hater, is just: net protection everywhere. It can also be installed on frames to the windows.

Carnivorous plants may well help, but they don't have endless digestive capabilities. They can only eat so much otherwise they will die.
      Lotion etc I think they poison humans as well as insects.

I noticed that stinging insects are more active when the body temperature is higher (early morning and early evening) so one should watch them more during these hours.
      They are attracted by lights, so doors and windows have to be shut starting from late afternoon. They live where there is stagnating water and humid, even as little as a plant pot.

I find particularly useful a post-sting cream which makes life much more bearable...