1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Carrot fly

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by jjordie, Aug 6, 2005.

1. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    We have been enjoying some lovely young carrots from the garden but they seem to have suddenly developed what I assume is carrot fly - and they were supposed to be 'carrot fly resistant'.
    Is there any way to get rid of these pests? :confused:

[ 06. August 2005, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: jjordie ]

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Are they showing red colouration round the tops

Even the so called resistant varieties(flyaway and resistafly) are advertised as 'showing some resitance to carrot fly'
    IE: they can still get attacked

we have had success with normal varieties in our allotment this year by growing under a light fleece....seems alot of trouble but it does stop the buggers

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    We put a sprinkling of ash from the wood burner along the rows when they come through making sure there is a good covering & then apply as necessary after thinning or pulling. This works pretty well for us as it did for father & grandfather before. "Keep the ground sealed" I think was what they said. Hope this helps. [​IMG]

4. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    [​IMG]

Carrots don't seem to have red round the tops SteveW, but is this carrotfly or some other sort of pest. MF - would try ash but we don't know anyone with a wood burner.

5. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I would say that is carrot fly

the parts unnafected are still edible, but it means throwing away a good chunk of the carrot

6. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Thanks Steve, just glad to have it confirmed what we are dealing with. Will have to find someone with a woodburner MF but I expect it is too late for this years crop. :rolleyes:

7. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Yes probably is too late for this year jjordi. It doesn't have to be wood only ashes. When I was a kid, it was a mix of wood & coal as that is what was burnt for heat. Try it next year if you can. [​IMG]

[ 07. August 2005, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: Marley Farley ]

8. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Steve - another tip re carrot root fly, untried, but apparently effective - is to put souther wormwood stems (pretty plant to grow too) between the rows. As I recall carrot root fly finds carots by scent, and this masks it.