1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cars!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Sheal, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
    Ratings:
    +1,200
  2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,509
    Tell you what I have just noticed - the colour of @redstar's car! Very close to the colour of mine! The paint on mine is not as good as @redstar's though.

3. Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    Should have known by the foot note, and the Jag driver

• Like Like x 1
    • Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
      Ratings:
      +1,200
      Love the C2, and the red, wow

• Agree Agree x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        :hapydancsmil::yes::heehee:
        While you eat all the Hobnobs.:dunno::heehee:

What have I told you about too much.........

[​IMG]
        but, hang on, I'll join you!!

• Like Like x 2
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,560
          Some of you may remember back in 2016 just after moving here to the Highlands Mr S and I bought a Nissan Juke. She's now seven years old and it's time to change. We were going to change last year but decided with Covid lockdown not to bother. She still only has 47,000 miles on the clock which isn't too bad. That said we've had various makes of cars down the years, somewhere between 25 and 30 vehicles. This was our first Nissan and will be the last.

But what are we going to buy? Something of similar size or smaller with a decent boot and hopefully better rear view. The Juke has a terrific blind spot around the struts between front and rear doors and combined with the front passenger seat headrest created almost 2ft of blind area. So much so I've had a few near misses on roundabouts and multi lane roads. The mirrors being no help at all.

We have no idea what we want as yet but we have a fairly free rein on price, new, used or possibly hire, depending on the car. In Tesco's car park today I was drooling over the Maserati that pulled in next to me.... I wish! :biggrin:

We have all the dealerships here but unfortunately a number of those are held by Arnold Clark. No problem with his cars but apparently after sales service is not good. We'll be looking for petrol engine, manual gearbox and preferably a telescopic steering column but I don't know if they are still available.

It's now a case of watch this space, I'll report back as things move along. :)

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +49,509
          Arnold Shark aftercare is shockingly bad.

You will also find that pillar blind spots are a common theme on many if not all modern cars - it comes in the name of safety for those inside the car, but I think at the expense of safety in other ways. I can 'lose' an entire car in the A-pillar on my car and if you look at the number of near misses on roundabouts I would say that pillar blind spots must be behind a fair few of them.

Kia/Hyundai won't be beaten for warranty and are some of the best screwed together cars you can get nowadays. I personally would avoid Vauxhall as I don't think the brand has long for this world - unless of course Peugeot choose to use it as an electric/trade foothold outside of the EU to then bounce on into other markets.

Maseratti are gorgeous but I wouldn't want the cost of running one. Mercedes after care is not what it used to be either, and are to be avoided in my opinion.

• Informative Informative x 1
          • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,201
            @Sheal

Would expect most new cars to have fully adjustable steering wheels these days ... the possible exception being some very small city cars ?

To help with your choice before visiting the car showrooms, you want to look on Ytube at the in depth reviews, there are good ones by What Car and another by CarBuyer who now seem to be renamed as CarWow.

Some links below, one for the New Corolla which gets very good reviews and the dealer network usually has very good ratings.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/driver-power/95238/best-cars-to-own-driver-power-results

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,560
              Thank you FC and Ricky. Input is always good. :thumbsup:

Mr S will be looking at Kia's next Tuesday when he takes the Juke in for repair. Typically, just before selling, he hit a pheasant on Tuesday gone and it's smashed the front grille. The price of the grille isn't bad, it's the labour cost that's extortionate as the front bumper has to come off to replace it. :doh:

Hyundai, Ford and Renault are on the to do list too. But I can safely say those that aren't are Vauxhall, Peugeot, Citroen, VW and Audi at the moment.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
              Ratings:
              +49,509
              A word of caution with Renault @Sheal - Renault = Nissan = Mercedes at the moment. In theory, it should have been the best bits from each, in reality it is a way of producing stuff as cheap as possible.

Kia and Hyundai are the same parent company, but their designs are quite different - personally, I prefer Hyundai's designs, but the warranty is stronger on Kia (usually); aftercare is generally exceptional as both are strong with their dealer network.

Nothing wrong with an All I Coulda(Ford) ;) - I have had a few over the years and loved every one. Ecoboost engines, particularly the 1-litre are an absolute no-no as they are drastically unreliable and there are even garages who will refuse to work on them. Their Powershift (or Powersh*t as they are known) gearboxes are also trash but that won't be an issue for you as you are looking at manual.

As Ricky rightly points out, Toyota are almost invariably known for bulletproof reliability and good dealers too, so you wouldn't go wrong there. I've been happy with the XF (really good on fuel) so far and have spoken to folks who have F-Pace's who are really happy with them - manuals are not common however. I confess, if I could afford an i-Pace, I would have one, but they are expensive with a capital F, even used.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,560
              We've had several Renaults in the past with no real issues, but I'll take note of your comments. :thumbsup: We both like the new Ford Puma so intend to check that out. We also past a new Skoda on the road yesterday which looked like a possibility but I can't remember which model it was. :doh:So again a visit to the dealer is a must. Luckily here in Inverness we have a 'magic mile' or two, all the dealers except Nissan are on the same road so we can nip in and out of each one.

I know Toyota are always good, but they've never had that 'buy me' sign on them regarding looks. We came close to buying one of the original Yaris' years ago, it was perfect for me to drive. I could alter the steering column and get a decent seat position, something I need to accommodate an ankle that isn't fully functional. The drawback was for Mr S - his head scuffed the roof.

• Like Like x 1
              • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                Ratings:
                +49,509
                I am guessing Kodiaq or Karoq maybe? Seem to be good cars. A mechanic I know once said that Skodas are Audi's built by people who actually care.

• Like Like x 1
                • sandymac

sandymac Super Gardener

engineer
                  Ratings:
                  +914
                  The only real bad car i had was the Jag XE in 2015 when they came out. Long story short plagued with electrical faults, owned it for eight months only drove it for three rest of time spent in loan car, Jag bought it back from me then put it on a wagon and sent it back to the factory it was built at.
                  Sandy

• Informative Informative x 4
                  • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +8,289
                    I had 3 Ford Fiesta's in the past 15 years, none ever let me down.

• Like Like x 4
                    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +52,560
                      Mr S and I went shopping today. Our first stop was to look at Ford, Mazda and Hyundai all on the same plot. We didn't get beyond Ford. We've bought a new Puma ST line petrol/hybrid. :)

• Like Like x 6