1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cat Deterrant

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by petal, Sep 28, 2005.

1. petal

petal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone suggest suitable plants to deter neighbourhood cats from my garden please?

2. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    'Coleus Canina' (scaredy cat plant) is supposed to work, very strong scent, only an annual but widely available at the end of spring at most good garden centres.

Supposedly keeps dogs at bay as well.

Worth having in the garden for the unusual light blue/purple square flower heads. If you touch the plants the scent sticks to you for ages ;) .

Nathan.

3. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    An old trick of my granfather's (besides the catapault he always carried [​IMG] ) was to mulch any newly planted areas with gorse clippings. Cats would only attempt to scratch there once.

There is also the old joke about catmint - after midnight you sneak round and plant some in your neighbour's garden!

[ 28. September 2005, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: frogesque ]

4. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    Hello Petal, I've seen a electrical thing somewhere high frequency supposed to deter cats but wether it's any good or not I don't know.

5. Larburnum

Larburnum Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Petal, I bought three of those battery operated Cat Scarers for my rosebeds.They don.t have a very big radious but they worked for a few nights until the cats got used to them then they used to walk in among them.
    Eventually I got rid of the cats (and rabbits) with teabags soaked in Jeyes Fluid scattered in among my rose bushes.

6. Frangipani

Frangipani Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    we used to use pepper.. alhtough it doens't last long.. one rain and you have to do it again..

raw tobacco leaf is also a great way.. for cats and slugs.. but that sort of this is hard to get in the UK.. don't go buy a packet of ciggies as it would cost you WAY too much.. plus ready mades have too many chemicals sprayed onto them..

7. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Get a cat - a dog even!!!

8. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    A friend of mine has a Yorki no cats dare there whilst he's on patrol.

9. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Several weeks ago we took on a rescue cat and keep her in the house. We use a wood base litter which can and does go on the compost heaps. Up until then there were always a couple of moggies that hung around the heaps and even sunbathed on them.It's been a while since we've seen them there now so I assume the "odour" of our cat is the reason.Futher trials are underway in the Pampas,another favourite spot. ;)

[ 01. October 2005, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Paladin ]