Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Marley Farley, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
    +849
    Many thanks for your reply.. We have tried so hard with making our wildlife garden and spent alot of money.. We noticed that the white cats would come in digg and poo what we had done in the garden we got so stressed up in the end I put veg and flowers in cages just to get protection from there cats....
    We have all sorts of plants in our garden but our dog is not bothered. By plants he is more interested in grass or even cat poo yuck.. Where tilly lives they have another 5 cats.. But the people behind us has 8 cats..
    Thses people with 8 cats are foreign we used to get on now due to there pessy cats we don't we are all so keeping a eye out on our fish pond.. No other cat comes in apart from there's...

2. Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
    Ratings:
    +43,771
    There's a lot of videos on YouTube of how to cat proof the garden, here's one but I haven't watched it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
      Ratings:
      +1,134
      Garden hose and super soaker are helpful.
      We have 3 cats ourselves, and those ar the main deterrents to teach them not to jump on the kitchen tables or not to dig up certain spots in the garden.
      Seems brutal but since the cats only get wet when you spray them it is probably the most humane thing.
      Or combine it with a watering system and flick the switch whenever you see some cats strolling around

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
        +849
        Thanks for your reply I will check out YouTube for more advice but cannot cover all garden in eg netting or raised fencing of some sort.. I thought about a soaker before but not sure if you need outside tap which we have not..
        Not sure what you mean by watering system thanks

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
          Ratings:
          +1,134
          Automated watering systems are the primary choice for laz.... comfortable lawn owners. They are (partially) buried pipes which end up at sprayers. They can be multi-directional for watering a lawn, or directed at something like a flower bed. Most are connected to a timer in order to go off at the same time every day, but most can also be turned on manually by the flick of a switch.
          Price range goes from around 100€ for simple systems up to many thousands of Euros.

Edit: autocorrect

• Like Like x 2
          • Useful Useful x 1
            Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
          • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
            Ratings:
            +49,893
            This is what we have in two sections of our garden. T'other Half did them so very inexpensive.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
              +849
              Thanks for the ideas we only have fake grass on concrete slabs and rolled chalk.. I did think about a sprinkler system that seen on amazon but I think it needs to be connected to outside tap which we have none as live in council property

• Informative Informative x 2
              • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
                +609
                Hi gizmo
                The kind of improvements you can make to your council property depends on the type of tenancy you have. Introductory tenants are usually limited to minor improvements like redecorating inside. If you’re a secure tenant, you have the right to carry out improvements to your property. So if you wont an outside tap you must get the council.s Permission which is unlikely they will refuse as its not effecting anyone

• Informative Informative x 2
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                  +849
                  Thanks for your advice. We have told the council about these cats and damage they do as well as how much we have spent out trying to protect our garden.. We have asked council before and answer is no

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
                  +7,559
                  I feel your pain, @Gizmo . 8 cats in one house sounds excessive, one does wonder if they are all as well looked after as pet cats should be. The cost of all the food, medication, vet visits, worming, jabs, insurances and microchips must add up to a serious amount.

However, if the cats don't cause a serious, tangible, documented damage the law doesn't prohibit their free wanderings. Unlike loud music or other antisocial behaviour, there's little one can do.

You seem to have exhausted all the channels by already talking to the council and the cat owner so in order to reduce the distress and worry, a compromise must be found.

You will not be able to exclude the cats completely, whatever you do.

Would it reduce the disturbance in the other parts of your garden if you dedicated a corner for the cats? A deep hole filled with sand to use as a toilet, perhaps a shelf in the sun for them to relax? Perhaps even hang a cat toy to play with, or plant some catmint in a challenging hung pot to keep them occupied? With a bit of luck the cats would spend most of the time in there rather than exploring the "cat-boring"- parts.

I like cats very much and welcome them to be my visitors over the winter, but in spring and summer time the delicate wildlife in this urban area should be given the right of the way.

@Gizmo , please don't be disheartened with the situation, you are doing something very important in encouraging wildlife in your garden. There will always be setbacks caused by cats, hard winters, pests or something else, but the help you are giving to the nature is invaluable. :)

• Like Like x 2
                  • Agree Agree x 2
                  • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                    +849
                    Hi they only had 2 cats to start and then they had kittens and then the kittens had kittens.. They look that they are loved etc but don't have collars on.. Not sure how they are affording all costs for there cats and they are disabled and Portuguese.. It seems unfair that cats are allowed to wonder cause damage and poo where they want..
                    The cats around us is 2 upstairs 5 next for and 8 at the back of us and it's only these 8 cats we see causing issues in our garden..
                    All though we like cats we don't want to encourage them in to our garden.. We had plants in last year and yet we got blamed for there cats being ill.. We got blamed for putting stuff in our garden soil that would poison there cats..
                    When there cats see me they will run or they get wet.. They are attacking our bird feeding area so they again get wet...
                    As a first time gardener it has taken me 3 yrs to put in what my wife wanted and being both disabled not helped..
                    Yes we are trying to create a wildlife garden but with these white cats it's a pain as they scare of the wildlife that come into our garden...
                    Every time they have sent a message to me I have saved it to my email address just incase they complain.. They have even asked me to grow cannabis in which I said no.
                    Just waiting for them to complain.. Today I was outside in garden and said to my wife about getting those traps we bought so I made sure they heard me but all it was a trap for slugs snails they don't know that

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
                    Ratings:
                    +49,893
                    I am sorry but I think you are on a lose-lose here situation. I am a person who has been owned by cats for 53 years and I have never encountered your situation. I know you have spent a lot on your garden. Would you consider moving? I think you need to rethink your situation. Same with Gizmo ... spend some of the money you spend getting rid of cats on money for dog insurance.

I do not mean to be unkind, but I have read all your posts and I think you should rethink where your money goes... not on cat deterrent things that do not work or get a male cat yourself.

Please do not dislike me for this post.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • Useful Useful x 1
                    • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                      +849
                      Hi I don't dislike anyone I like all the opinions that users give me which I am great full for..
                      Unfortunately we can't move we moved here approx 4 yrs ago and my wife had. A tia..
                      I wish I could get rocco insured I have. Looked but I will be looking on other sites.. I can't get a cat really as we have alot of breakables and don't want a cat to come in with a bird mouse etc... I will keep trying
                      Thanks for your help and advice

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                        +849
                        Hi does anyone know about these items eg can they been connected to indoors with turn on and off switch or does it have to go on outside tap and can they be adapted to run more than 1 hose thanks for your advice images.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
                        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +84,314
                          I know cats can be a problem if people have too many of them in an urban environment, people really should keep down the amount of cats they have in those kinds of situation.

I dont think anything you buy will keep them away if they consider your garden as part of THEIR territory or free territory, un owned by another cat.

Its a pity your dog isn't a bit more aggressive regarding cats, they do steer clear if they get chased off by a dog a few times, obviously with no harm done.

I used to have lots of cats visiting my garden, but the little ginger one has decided its his territory and he chases off much bigger cats than himself, he was even squaring up to the fox a couple of nights ago, needless to say the fox decided one sausage wasn't worth the hassle.

Animals do seem to find their own balance, some win, some lose, but its mostly part of how things are.

Dont get stressed out over it, you can only really intervene when you are on the spot, the rest of the time the animal world will just get on with living, and sometimes dying, but that is how things are.

• Like Like x 2