Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Marley Farley, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Elizabeth13

Elizabeth13 Gardener

Nurse
    Ratings:
    +121
    :heehee:

Well, according to amazon reviews, someone has said it encouraged the cats to come and mark the territory more! Either that, or it was the coyote/predator one.. I looked at so many I might well be getting muddled!

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,123
    Hi Elizabeth I am not totally sure but it would seem the ultrasonic CAT repellers do affect allot of dogs..

My dog/ or as now dogs are my cat repellant.. :heehee: I just open my door & say "Whassssat" & the dogs race out barking.. Never catch them but it soon stopped the cats dropping in.... :biggrin: They walked all around the wall & fences but not in the garden after a while... :yahoo:

• Like Like x 3
    • Elizabeth13

Elizabeth13 Gardener

Nurse
      Ratings:
      +121

Without sounding awful, but I do do that!
      I let my dog after them and chase them out (although I admit, I usually hold his collar so let the cats get a head start, I don't want to harm them), but they still come back! Either they know deep down my dog is a whimp, or they just don't scare easy!
      My dog doesn't even use our little garden as a bathroom, so you can guess how annoyed I am that all these cats do! Had to clean up a right sloppy poop the other day from one of these 'visitors'
      :eeew:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,915
        same here Marley & Elizabeth, we have two little dogs (a Bichon Frise & a Chihuahua) and just their presence seems to discourage the cats dropping in...it certainly isn't their brute size thats for sure lol Snoop (Bichon) absolutely hates cats for some reason (which is odd as he was reared with a cat :scratch:) he always has an eye out in the hope there's a cat to chase, its the buzz of the chase he loves i think (i'll add he's never caught one! its something that worries me as i'd put money on the cat kicking seven shades out of him :help: but he doesn't know that...nor the cats apparently! even though some of the tom cats he's sent running for their lives have been bigger than him:loll:

• Like Like x 1
        • Marley Farley

Ratings:
          +14,123
          :hate-shocked: Oh dear Elizabeth that is horrid for you.. One of our villagers was telling me put one of those horrid "Big Mouth Billy Bass" motion sensor toyshttp://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=billy+bass&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=8915304273&hvpos=1s2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=20426203912019704239&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_7vwfa3wy69_b in an old plastic fish tank where the cats go in his garden.. He said it is hilarious when it starts up with it's song... The cats skitter away imeddiatley... I was reading the other day how another person he has put one of these in his greenhouse which is where the cats seem to come by with very successful results.. His own dog barked at it to start with but stopped after a while... :heehee: http://www.festive-lights.com/acces...r-alarm.html?gclid=CO6F9N_Fk7YCFcrHtAod_mgAXg
          http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electroni...geo=1&clk_rvr_id=461473343697&vectorid=229508

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Marley Farley

Ratings:
            +14,123
            :blue thumb: It is definitely the buzz of the chase, whether it was my springer or the 2 terriers I have now.. Perhaps "don't hold on to yours Elizabeth just open the door & let him go.. He will never catch one.. cats are too quick for that... :roflol:

• Like Like x 2
            • honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,915
              you'd be surprised Snoop once proudly came strutting back after chasing one off with what i can only assume was a tuft of fur from some unfortunate cats bum on his chin:oopss:

• Like Like x 1
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • Elizabeth13

Elizabeth13 Gardener

Nurse
                Ratings:
                +121
                Whiskey had a cat once try to attack us in the street (proper did as well, tried clawing at my leg, and all we wanted was to walk past!) and he hid behind me. So i really don't think he's a cat killer, so i think the cats are safe in that sense :D

• Like Like x 2
                • Funny Funny x 1
                • honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1,915
                  ah Elizabeth, you should have seen our cat Snow in her hayday (she's at rainbow bridge now <3) but in her youth she had the dogs in the neighbourhood traumatised! she ran from nobody and dogs just didn't know what to make of her. two occasions in particular i remember her chasing, yes chasing, a German Shepherds up the road and another time she leapt from a low wall onto a Jack Russels back and clung on bronco style as the poor thing ran screaming up the road! she was a petite little thing but my goodness the courage of her!

• Like Like x 1
                  • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
                    Ratings:
                    +3,035
                    I think the moggie that was leaving deposits on our front lawn has developed deafness as it's started ignoring my mega-sonic moggie repeller.:wallbanging:
                    Does anyone know where I could borrow a large, semi-domesticated puma just for a week or so? :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 3
                    • Elizabeth13

Elizabeth13 Gardener

Nurse
                      Ratings:
                      +121
                      Have you seen those water jet squirters, Dave W?
                      Sense the heat and movement and squirts water at any felines. Might be worth a try, and could scare them off!

• Informative Informative x 1
                      • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +2,998
                        Has anyone ever think of having a cat friendly garden????

If you know where the cat come from , just create an easy access so he will not jump on your plants , if he come to poo in your garden , just put a little tray with sand .
                        I know I sound stupid , but i used to have the same problem untill i start to feed them , i have a stray cat living in my garden who actually keep all the other cats away , belive or not since I got them , didn`t find a single poo in my garden or any plant broken or any pigeon coming to eat the new plant shoots or birds didn`t stolen any plants , my neighbour apparently seen the cat attacking an heron who was pointing at my pond and the best of all ......apparently I`m the only one who don`t have rats problem in the garden ........

I know i sound silly , but why don`t you just give a try .

• Like Like x 2
                        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                          +100,834
                          There are benefits to having a cat in your garden, Sal, but the problem for most people is cats from outside visiting gardens and causing problems. I have 8' to 9' high fences all around my garden with the top two feet being slack chicken wire which cats don't like as it leans backwards towards their weight leaving them clinging by their claws in a uncomfortable position. That combined with high solid gates keeps cats out. My two cats just watch the birds feeding and ignore the Frogs in the pond and the Hedgehog when he decides to come out of hibernating. They use the litter boxes provided and don't dig up the borders. I did notice last week that Sally [the older one eyed cat:cat-kittyandsmiley:] was rolling in a tray of last years Catmint plants but that's the first time I've seen her do that. The Blackbirds harass the cats by scolding them so much the cats will go back into the House to get away from the noise!

• Like Like x 1
                          • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +2,998
                            It would worth try my way , just to try a different thing :doggieshmooze:

you never know , do you get any damage from other cats????
                            it would be interesting to hear from cat owner garden , like me
                            since i got a cat I don`t have problem anymore ,
                            but of course the solution is not to get a cat , but to understand them....
                            it`s too late for taking a picture , but my idea of a put a log in the garden to allow the neighbour cat to walk by , works really well .....

got a picture , can you see the log in the soil ????
                            well the cat used to jump in my canna , since I put the log will only walk by the log ....then as I usually put some food for the cat , she usually come in my garden , eat and go somewhere else for the use toilet ; )

it sound so silly but really work for me.

[​IMG]

• honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
                            +1,915
                            perhaps she read the label and assumed they were for her ;)