1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Marley Farley, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
    +851
    We would use check a trade any way. So are we suppose to cover our pond from top to toe in netting so we can't get access to it
    Not fair that you have to pick up after your dog but not a cat but it's still fouling
    It's a shame that rocco don't chase cats as he does dogs rocco is more inquisitive than aggressive

2. Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
    Ratings:
    +31,859
    I also used a cheap fabric condition in a spray bottle when i was rearing voles for the local owls as the cats would come in to take voles home to play, so got fed up with the cats, so i sprayed the smellyish fabric conditioner i could find and sprayed all around the feed box's and had no more problems with cats taking voles but i don't know if it would be bad for any plants but all around the feed box's it had a very strong smell :biggrin: masked the smell of the voles so cats didn't come in looking for them, may be also worth a try

• Informative Informative x 3
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,355
      ARMANDII had an effective system to keep his cats in and others out. He had the usual 6ft high fence and then added a couple of feet of chicken wire. The wire was kept loose so they could not climb it as it was too wobbly.

We use the same system to keep the deer out. They used to grab the top of our fence with their front legs and then haul themselves over. With the loose chicken wire it bends as they try to climb and they fall backwards.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
        +851
        Thanks for the reply unfortunately the council won't let us put anything on the top of the 6 foot fence:sad:as our fence is a shared fence :snooze:

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,060
        In the past I've sprayed Jeyes fluid on the area where visiting cats used as a toilet, they don't like the smell.

Also cats like dry soil, so ensure it is well watered. If they poo amongst plants I use thorny clippings pushed into the ground to deter them.

• Like Like x 1
        • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +14,309
          Ohhh cruelty to Bambis!! :nonofinger: :biggrin: Newly-planted treasures here have a birdcage top placed over them until they're big enough to defend themselves. Or a 'tunnel' of wire mesh, or prickly prunings as per JWK. Pouzzolane (volcanic grit) used to stop the sweeties peeing on the compost in containers, but they seem to have got used to that :sad: so a few bamboo canes placed across the pots does the trick now.

• Like Like x 1
          • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
            Ratings:
            +30,610
            No, I don't think it's cruel as long as they are just frustrated and not hurt.

Eddy did ask neighbour's permission before adding the extra precautions so that worked out okay. He was keeping his cats out of others yards. Worked out all round. I think...

Our bylaws do not allow cats to roam free. So I rarely see them. But I do grow catnip for visitors as even though I'm allergic to animal fur, I love the beasties :)

• Like Like x 3
            • shiney

Ratings:
              +118,355
              "No animals were hurt in the process" :) but it saved pain and damage to my poor old apple trees (all the lower branches were broken off) and they killed a cherry tree by stripping the bark. They also ate a few large Forsythia bushes to the ground (seemed to be their favourite) and a number of other large shrubs.

Wobbly chicken wire is the recommended humane thing to do round here. In the old days it was the common thing to use a shotgun :yikes:.

Most of the deer roam from Hatfield Forest and Wall Wood (NT) and the NT have to carry out regular culls as they are having a "devastating effect" (their words) on the woodland.

Quote:-
              "Deer management at Hatfield Forest and Wall Wood is supported by Natural England, the Forestry Commission, the Deer Initiative and Essex Police.

At Hatfield Forest and Wall Wood, damage to the ancient coppice has become unsustainable and so a reduction cull is necessary, along with protective deer fencing. In smaller numbers, deer are actually beneficial to the forest environment by opening up small glades for the benefit of ground flora.

The maintenance of a healthy herd will always be necessary, as it has been for the last 1000 years."

• Like Like x 2
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +14,309
                Much the same scenario here, but it's the local chasses that do the culls, and the resulting venison is eaten. It's going to be 'fun' to see what happens if and when the anti-chasse movement succeeds in their aim to ban hunting. Especially when their gardens are destroyed by wild boar!

• Agree Agree x 2
                • Like Like x 1
                • shiney

Ratings:
                  +118,355
                  Similar here (not wild boar - although we do have a local wild bore :whistle:) and the National Trust sell the venison.

• Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                  +851
                  We have 2 cats who live upstairs.
                  There are 6 cats next door. Who don't come in our garden.
                  There are 8 cats who live behind us who come in our garden. Causes damage. Poo. Hunt. Drink out of pond. We are totally fed up with these pessky cats. We have tried sevceral deterants sonic. Plants. Spikes. Lion wee. The owners don't seem to care what there cats get up too. The complain about us shooing there cats out of our garden. There are. Certain things we cannot do as we live in a council property. The council don't want to know about the cat issue we have got. I was advise not to use penny royal. So we have stuck lavender plants in. We think these pessky cats are wearing gas masks as what we do don't work.
                  What about anti climb paint? I heard that it can cause a problem with fur we don't want to hurt the cats but they are driving us mad

• Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                  +851
                  Hi the white cats behind us are causing more problems. I know it's natural but they are attacking the birds that come in our garden to feed.. With the cats up stairs and next door who don't come in our garden it's only the white ones coming in we have spent hundreds in trying to have a wildlife garden it can be so up setting when it happens all though we have spent out on cat deterent that don't seem to help.. When we see them we throw water at them and they run off but we can't stay up all night.. And yet it's only the white ones coming in.. We informed the council and they don't want to know we even had words with the owners not interested

• Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
                  +611
                  Yes some cats can be a nuisance but really the onwers if they wonted to could not really stop the cat unless they kepted it in doors permanenty but not all can keep or wont to keep cats in doors
                  Before i had a cat i used to have alot of cats visit although i love cats but its not nice digging in your garden finding cats poo, some mentioned to me plants ,pepper ,citus smells like orange , banana ,common rue? Even Fresh coffee once thats smelt l it leaves a nasty odour so cats go and the deterents you can buy. But i found the only thing that really worked was to get my own cat so i did a 1 year old rescued tom cat
                  Although cats are predators not all cats go for the same kind of prey some cats prefer birds more l while others tend go for rodents more maybe the white cats like birds while the others couldnt care less
                  Tiggs is more of a rodent cat eg many times he sees the birds eating the food i have put out he couldnt be bothered instead sleep more important but one day a rat came in the garden while he was slleeping you should have seen him movelol
                  Sorry you still have this problem but Maybe consider getting your own cat

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                    +851
                    Thanks for your reply.. With these pessky cats they used to have 2 and now they have 8.. 7 white and 1 black cat.. The black cat we have seen him or her come in our garden and play around with our flowers.. The owners complained about us giving the cat food and ending up sick.. We have been blamed for putting poison down.. The white cats are a pain 1 of them got hit by a car and yet again we got blamed all though we have not done anything to there cats in the 4 yrs we have lived here.. Apart from shooooo them out or use a sonic gun cat deterant or use a high power water pistol...
                    We have got English and French lavender in garden we have got cages around our veg and flower raised beds.. The fences both sides are shared.. When we see a white cat and they see us the cats will run or they get wet.. We have noticed that they will attack the birds on the fence by the bird feeder or sit on shed roof waiting for a meal to fly pass..they do there poo in our garden all though we have complained to owners they just say no not our cats we have litter boxes..
                    With having a cat we never had one before as we don't want anything bought in the house like mouse bird etc and we don't want a cat jumping on to cupboards where we have breakables..
                    All though we have a dog which is the dog in my picture he is so friendly and when he sees the cats all though they hiss at him etc he just sits there and says what's wrong with you..
                    The same with dogs he will play sniff etc but 1 certain dog he won't and that's ever a golden lab or retriever if this dog comes up to him he will show he is not happy..
                    We have a cat next door called tilly sort of a tortoise shell in colour 1 day I saw tilly come up to rocco our dog and Tilly was very close and they both ended up kissing and sniffing each other which I thought was strange.
                    We like cats but all though people have said before about getting a cat I said to my wife once I don't think the council will let us keep a BIG cat..

• Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
                    +611
                    Hi gizmo sorry to hear nieghbours blame you when their cats ill but thats so unreasonable
                    .many cat owners should know some things about cats before they have a cat for instance some plants and flowers can be very toxic to cats eg geranum ,lily,daffodils etc as you must be aware of as you have a dog but they can make a cat so ill like its been posioned so its silly to blame others also if they are that concerned they should keep cat indoors and even if cats have litter boxs if they are let out they will still poo outside they wont run back to their litter box to poo.

Cats gizmo can be trained tiggs never goes on cupboard ,beds tables etc and as far as prey he knows not to bring it in but when he his not looking in kitchen eating i get rid of it

Cats and dogs can get on even if they dont live together like your dog and nextdoor cat and i am surprised tilly does not react to other cats who come in your garden but saying that cats will avoid a fight if they can

I understand why you unable to get cat infact maybe at the mo dont get one it might cause more aggro i hope though in time these cats get fed up and go take care

• Like Like x 2
                      Last edited: Aug 24, 2021