Cat friendly gravel - but not THAT friendly :)

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Clydesdalestu, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Clydesdalestu

Clydesdalestu Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +27
    Hi all,

I wonder if anyone could give me some advice?

Due to some invasive tree roots lifting up my paving slabs on a patio at then far end of the garden, I've decided to lift the lot and replace them with a thick bed of gravel, chippings, slate, or something similar.

My issue is that our cat loves spending time with us in the garden, so I want to use something cat friendly ( I think I read somewhere that cat's don't like certain types of gravel or slate, as it's uncomfortable on their paws).

HOWEVER, there's also that old adage about cats LOVING pea shingle to use as a litter tray! Obviously I'm really keen to avoid this, so wondered if anyone could recommend something that would suit our strange situation?

We're lucky that we have very few cats in our neighbourhood, so I don't think we'd be too inundated with kitties using out patio as a public loo, but even so, I'd like to avoid the possibility if I can.

Any advice gratefully accepted,

Stu.

2. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    @Clydesdalestu I can't say I've heard of unfriendly cat gravel, but I do remember a friends neighbour complaining because his cat was pooping on his graveled garage roof:heehee: my last cat I had i can still picture her walking on top of a 60ft long hawthorn hedge we had when it had been cut, so personally i couldn't see why the popular types of gravel or slate would be a problem.

3. CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
    Ratings:
    +4,304
    Hi @Clydesdalestu I'm afraid I don't think there is a solution to the litter tray aspect. I have recently moved to a house with a gravel drive. Despite having had a huge pile of compost delivered that they could use, the cats have decided the drive is their loo - even though the gravel is large, lumpy and sharp edged. I am going to try to create a slightly more welcoming area in the hope that they will use it preferentially.

4. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +609
    Gravel can be quite attractive to cats -- so you need to convince the cats gravel is not as great as it seems. Spray your gravel with something that cats dont like although . not all cats dislike the same smells, so you might need to try a few things before you find what works. Citronella or lavender essential oil, peppermint ,lemongrass and orange repel cats and are non toxic make a homemade solution of these oils one part oil and 3 parts water also white vinegar is also a deterrent either use neat or deluted with water

Spraythe area after few days and each time it rains which ever you use oil or vinegar

You could Sprinkle broken pine cones or pine straw on the gravel and If you don't mind the new texture and color, this might work as a deterrent, as it will feel uncomfortable on cats' paws and they'll be less likely to walk -- or dig -- on the gravel

If a cat wonts to go in your garden sometimes nothing will deter then but their powerful noses can be your ally in keeping them away from certain area,s

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +49,909
      None of my cats have ever bothered with the gravel. They have a sand garden they are allowed to use but most have always preferred to rush inside at great speed to use the litter box. :heehee::cat-kittyandsmiley:

• Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
      +172
      If it's a spot your cat likes to sit in i doubt it is going to use it as a litter tray. Cat's are clean animals. They would rather do it somewhere else like in a neighbor's garden

• Agree Agree x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +117,308
        The best animal deterrent that I've found is a very dilute solution of Jeyes Fluid sprayed on the area. It even kept the badgers out when I sprayed my boundary with it.

• Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
        +609
        hi shiney at least you found something that works and yes jeyes fuid is a good deterrent and a good cleaner etc but use with caution as it can be toxic to cats
        Although some cats seem ok by it others can get bad tummies even death

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +117,308
        That's why they recommend only a dilute version. They say you only need enough to get the smell onto the ground. A friend of ours used a 10oz hand sprayer with a teaspoon of Jeyes fluid to do his whole gravel driveway.

• Like Like x 1
        • Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
          +172
          Given the cat belongs to the original poster I doubt they want to put anything down that might poison it.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1