1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Caterpillars on Soft Fruits

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by AndyS, Aug 11, 2013.

1. AndyS

AndyS Gardener

Ratings:
    +50
    Hi,

I've had a decent crop from my 3 goosegogs this year but went on hold recently and on my return all 3 bushes were virtually stripped clean of foliage by what appears to be tiny, pale coloured caterpillars with black heads. Any idea what these are and how to stop them?

The Goosegogs are pretty much beyond salvaging now, but it looks like the blighters are moving onto my black and redcurrant bushes which I only planted this year.

Can anyone shed light on what these caterpillars are, how to stop them in an organic way (there seems far too many to effectively just squish them all) and whether or not my bushes bounce back next year?

Thanks

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
  3. AndyS

AndyS Gardener

Ratings:
    +50
    The caterpillars in most of those pics look more mottled than the ones I spotted, but this pic looks exactly like what I have:

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/eggs-larvae-and-caterpillars/58026-sawfly.html

and the resultant stripped bushes in the Google pics look just like mine too :(
    So I guess it must be Sawfly.
    Will my goosegogs bounce back next year, or are they goners now?

And can you recommend a product to rescue my currants please? (I hate to use chems...esp as I have toms and herbs growing all around too....is there really no other way?)

Thanks for your help :)

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    I had a goosegog bush that was annihilated by them a few years ago. For a whole year it just didn't grow at all, but then it started to grow back. It still hasn't produced fruit yet. It was productive before it was infested.

5. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
  6. AndyS

AndyS Gardener

Ratings:
    +50
    Brilliant, thanks, good to know what I'm dealing with at least.

Will go shopping for some pyrethrum tomorrow.

Anyone had any experience with these nematodes? Are they effective? Need re-applying each year?